Speaker help in 1993 Suburban...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Hey guys,I currently have some 4x6's in the dash and some 6 1/2's in the rear doors ran off an amp. But this just isnt cutting it. The front speakers are fairly loud and clean. The rears are clean but not too loud i guess because of the stock location which is basically on floor level in the rear doors. Just need some options. I want to run a 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" comp set up front but dont have any speakers in the front doors. Sub im runng is a CVX 15" and I basically have bass and sub level on the h/u on as low as it will go...amp gain is about 1/4 way up with a Panasonic h/u. I f any one has any opinions,I will greatly appreciate it.

Im willing to help, I just dont quite know what your asking. Are you trying to put some more speakers in your front door?
thats the plan,thing is,my year Suburban did not come with stock front door speakers. I think that I may could fabricate somewhere in the front doors to install some...if not 6 1/2' then 5 1/4's maybe. Just want some better mids/highs period. This dash 4x6's are not cutting it and the rear door speakers are a waste because they are so low in the doors.

Yes, I agree... the 4X6" are inefficient/ tend to lack midbass, and the rears are in a bad location.

Your thinking is right... 6.5" or 5.25" component set in the front doors, scrap the rears. Also, you need to amp the fronts... regardless of the claims, most head units have a maximum of 14 watts real power. There are no laws on car audio power ratings... they can tell you whatever they want.

Since you are going custom, kick panels would be an even better location than doors in most vehicles if you have the space there.

Yes, I agree... the 4X6" are inefficient/ tend to lack midbass, and the rears are in a bad location.
Your thinking is right... 6.5" or 5.25" component set in the front doors, scrap the rears. Also, you need to amp the fronts... regardless of the claims, most head units have a maximum of 14 watts real power. There are no laws on car audio power ratings... they can tell you whatever they want.

Since you are going custom, kick panels would be an even better location than doors in most vehicles if you have the space there.
Well,i do already have the 4x6's and the rear doors amped....speaker locations are just not the greatest. My plan is to get some comps for the front and bridge my 4-channel kenwood which will be 150 x 2@4ohms and then just run the rear doors and the 4x10's in the very back roof off the h/u. How does that sound? Really dont want to build kicks,i can,already built like 4 sets for previous cars but dont want my speakers on the floor, I tihnk that I can fit some 6 1/2's in the mid to upper doors up front....how do those Cadence comps sound that you have for sale?

Ok now I understand. You can do a set of 5.25 or 6.5s comps in the front doors. My cousin use to have a 92 Burban and he did a set in his. I think that its enough depth that you shouldnt have to build a custom enclosure for them, but check to make sure. Kicks arent nessary in your case unless you really want them. They do sound good in a big truck like that.

What your planning to do with the front (comps off your 4 chan amp bridged) sounds good.

I would get a small 2 chan amp to run the rear doors and roof speakers in the Buban, and wire a toggle switch to the remote lead going to that amp.

Its going to be people on this forum that tell you that you dont need rear speakers, but personally I think that should be something left up to you. I have had rears amped for the longest and loved it, then last year ran 4 12s off 1200w and just had my front comps and was fine with that too. I say at least with the small amp and switch, you have the options of cranking it louder (giving you a louder overall sound in that big truck) or cutting it off all together.

Ok now I understand. You can do a set of 5.25 or 6.5s comps in the front doors. My cousin use to have a 92 Burban and he did a set in his. I think that its enough depth that you shouldnt have to build a custom enclosure for them, but check to make sure. Kicks arent nessary in your case unless you really want them. They do sound good in a big truck like that.
What your planning to do with the front (comps off your 4 chan amp bridged) sounds good.

I would get a small 2 chan amp to run the rear doors and roof speakers in the Buban, and wire a toggle switch to the remote lead going to that amp.

Its going to be people on this forum that tell you that you dont need rear speakers, but personally I think that should be something left up to you. I have had rears amped for the longest and loved it, then last year ran 4 12s off 1200w and just had my front comps and was fine with that too. I say at least with the small amp and switch, you have the options of cranking it louder (giving you a louder overall sound in that big truck) or cutting it off all together.
thanks for the advice man....think that thats what i will do.

The cadence components sound excellent for the money. Here is a review: The system sounds better than any I have ever heard. They were testing my system and it was shaking the building. A customer came in and asked what was back there shaking the building and the installer said: " 2 twelves!!" The system is crisp, and clear. The bass is powerful and forceful. Amazing. I keep coming in from the car with my ears feeling like I have been at a concert or something. The installer said " this is what I want my car to sound like."

Very impressive. Some people spend thousands to get this sound, we spent very little to get this sound. The Momentums' sound good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.