Speakers suddenly just went flat... Bad amp possibly?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adarak1

So, about a week or so ago I just got out of a CVS started up my car, and my speakers were all of a sudden flat. No bass, really soft metal sound, and my Subwoofer was not working at all. All I could think of that would cause this was that either my amp overheated, or something went wrong because I changed my battery a couple days before. I ruled out overheating since I let it cool overnight and still the same thing happened the next day (and up until now), and battery doesnt really seem like an issue because I checked all the wiring from the battery to the fuse box that connects the power wire to the amp from the battery. So far I have:

1. Checked the fuse in the fuse box under the hood

2. Checked both fuses in the amp

3. Reset the receiver

4. Checked wiring between speakers and receiver / speakers and amp

5. Made sure power to the amp was being provided, although I dont know exactly how much, I just see the power light on.

After checking a few forum posts the most common thing I see is that the amp isnt getting enough power. I dont know why all of a sudden it would decide to do that, but maybe some of you can help me because I have done everything I pretty much know how to do so far. I scheduled an appointment for next saturday with my local best buy audio because I really have no idea what to do, but after being told that it was $50 for every half hour of troubleshooting I will do almost anything to get it working.

Heres some specs:

Make: Saturn

Model: LS

Year:2000

Speakers:

2x Kicker 4" CS Coaxial

Subwoofer:

1x Kicker Comp S 10"

Amp:

1x Pioneer GM-D8604

Receiver:

1x JVC KDX330BTS

So, about a week or so ago I just got out of a CVS started up my car, and my speakers were all of a sudden flat. No bass, really soft metal sound, and my Subwoofer was not working at all. All I could think of that would cause this was that either my amp overheated, or something went wrong because I changed my battery a couple days before. I ruled out overheating since I let it cool overnight and still the same thing happened the next day (and up until now), and battery doesnt really seem like an issue because I checked all the wiring from the battery to the fuse box that connects the power wire to the amp from the battery. So far I have:
1. Checked the fuse in the fuse box under the hood

2. Checked both fuses in the amp

3. Reset the receiver

4. Checked wiring between speakers and receiver / speakers and amp

5. Made sure power to the amp was being provided, although I dont know exactly how much, I just see the power light on.

After checking a few forum posts the most common thing I see is that the amp isnt getting enough power. I dont know why all of a sudden it would decide to do that, but maybe some of you can help me because I have done everything I pretty much know how to do so far. I scheduled an appointment for next saturday with my local best buy audio because I really have no idea what to do, but after being told that it was $50 for every half hour of troubleshooting I will do almost anything to get it working.

Heres some specs:

Make: Saturn

Model: LS

Year:2000

Speakers:

2x Kicker 4" CS Coaxial

Subwoofer:

1x Kicker Comp S 10"

Amp:

1x Pioneer GM-D8604

Receiver:

1x JVC KDX330BTS
Do you have a multimeter? If not, go get one. They're under $20 (like $6 at Harbor Freight) and they're an invaluable troubleshooting tool. Set it to DC voltage touch the red probe to the battery connection on the amp and the black probe to the ground connection. You should have 12V. Do this again with the head unit on, but with the red probe on the remote wire to ensure you're getting the 12v turn on signal from the head unit.

Also check the ground connection. the ground for the amp should be bolted tightly to unpainted chassis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.