SQ subs ?

jeramydean
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey, i was just wondering which of these setups would have better SQ.

3 Jl audio old school w6's

1000.1 Jl audio old school amp

or

3 SPL W10 subs

3 SPL CRM6004 amps

they would be in sealed enclosures with seperate chambers

i think the jl sub would probly sound better, but i want some input

From a purist standpoint the A1200 is a better sounding amp. There are those on here that will say a watt is a watt and while I generally agree, you are now comparing a Class A/B watt to a Class D watt. There is a difference in SQ between the two just by the nature of how they work. I will never have a Class D amp in an SQ system that I build.

That being said, the vast majority of people will not hear the difference especially in the low frequency range that most Class D amps operate. Those subs will sound great with that amp. I am in the process of installing 3 10W6's in my car right now, that is how much I think of them.

Wow, memories. I can remember quite a while ago I wanted 3 of the 12 W6s sooooo bad but I was in a spot where money WAS an issue. So I went with something else and now they don't make them anymore so oh well.

But anyway, dual 6 ohm voice coils.....how inventive....does anyone make a woofer with that configuration anymore? I mean you could run 6 of those bad boys in a 2 ohm load. Anyway, my feet hurt from walking down memory lane.

Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

6 wired into a 2 ohm load was exactly what I had when I originally bought the subs. All powered by a 2100HCCA Orion. This was in a reg cab Ford Ranger in a small cut through. Never had it metered, but to say that it was loud was a bit of an understatement. Unfortunately I totaled the truck 7.5 years ago. The subs are going on 8 yrs old.

Wow, memories. I can remember quite a while ago I wanted 3 of the 12 W6s sooooo bad but I was in a spot where money WAS an issue. So I went with something else and now they don't make them anymore so oh well.
But anyway, dual 6 ohm voice coils.....how inventive....does anyone make a woofer with that configuration anymore? I mean you could run 6 of those bad boys in a 2 ohm load. Anyway, my feet hurt from walking down memory lane.

Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Actually JLW3V2's and JL w6v2's both come in dual 6ohm config. You can still get the old school version on many sites that still have em in stock.

ok, so, do u think the trio will sound better with the 1000.1 than with the amp that you had?
no no no! I miss that amp dearly (sold it about 5 years ago). A/B amplifier in a bridged config, not to mention the power supply design was awesome. Arguably one of the best amp series ever produced. I still own a few old school PPI toys and will never ever part with them. However, the JL 1000.1 is an excellent amp. I would like to run one in a different car.

The top engineer who used to work for Precision Power and helped design the art series amps is the same guy that designed JL's amps when they started building them, I believe he still works for em.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.