sub wont hold long notes?

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
Every time a dupstep track comes on and a long bassline comes. Instead of haveing one long deep bassline my speaker kinda womps to it. It really makes me mad because its destroying the song lol Anyone know what could be causing this?

Info

its JBL power 10 in a 1.25cu-1.5cu(cant remmeber) @ 35Hz

powered by an audiopipe APSM-1300 with gain at 3/4(450 watts or so)

bassboost is almost completly off (like 1/12 of the way up if that)

Are you sure your gain should be that high. Did you set it with a DMM?
no i didnt, dont i need like a test tone to do that? I have a DMM

And idk its rated 400rms and my builders installed alot of the power 12s(i belive its the same motor, both rated for 400rms) he said they want more like 600, so did several reviews i read over the 10in.

Really dont think im overpowering it at all

set ur gains correctly.......i feel like its voltage drop
but besides that what is ur SSF and HPF set to/?
Whats SSF? Its a mono i only have a LPF, its set to like 100Hz or so i think

Subsonic is also off

Also i noticed it dosnt make that womp when the cars not running, so it that just further proving that the gains to high?

*facepalm*
excuse me for being ignorant, but can someone please clue me in instead of making me feel stupid? Not to be a **** but i just want some help lol

hahahaha oooo SSF= subsonic frequency..... lmfao im a lil high bare with me, acronym fuckers

Ok so do i need test tones or not to set my gain with a DMM? Ive seen many threads on it and it looked decently confusing. Saw alot of ppl say set it by ear, stfu lol

Lol_wut_pack.jpg

SSF is your subsonic filter. This means that you want to set it for the lowest frequency roll-off, not the highest. I believe most of them go down to about 15Hz or so, some are 7Hz. Now regarding the gain, this is not for "volume" as you mentioned, "will is be only getting half the power". Not really. The voltage is related to power output, but is not parallel to it. The voltage should be matched with the output voltage of the preamp, or receiver, or cd player(car). Some of them go up to about 9V, but most I believe are around 2V low level output. This is related to the distortion you may be getting as well, even though this was not mentioned, Im sure with the settings you have it at, it is there....even if you cannot heard it. When this distortion is minimal, and the voltage is matched, the response will be better, and the "sound" overall will be cleaner.

It's like this.........you ever hear a factory system from the outside of the vehicle and all you hear is distortion? And when they turn it down a little and the distortion goes away, but the output remains the same audible level? It's like that. If it is not matched, your feeding it more distortion than clean power, which will in turn affect the overall response curve, hence cancelled frequencies. Some of it has to do with resonances, but in your case, the more important factor is the distortion levels and matching the input output levels. The gain should be used for this, not power, or to gain more power, as it really only increases sensitivity, or applied voltage-to a point.

So, if you have that "factory" type of sound or setup, you will notice that when you run out of applied power, the distortion will kick in, such as in using a bass boost, where it may appear to create more bass...it is actually increasing sensitivity, which can cause the distortion. When you set everything right, you should not hear a loss in output, but cleaner output, as that loss is what you were worried about with the 2V amplifier sensitivity setting vs all the way up type of situation.

Hope this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.