subs doesnt sound right

dimi
10+ year member

i just installed a 10" type R in a 0.7" cu ft sealed box and it is getting powered by alpine M301 . When I am driving the car I get rich bass but when in jump in the back the bass is distorted and sounds hollow. The box as a whole sounds hollow. It is completely sealed. A friend suggested adding poly fill to the inside, but that didnt help. I wonder if it is my design of the box or something else is wrong. Would a ported box change the sound that dramatically on this kind of sub. Any help is appreciated THANK YOU.

P.S. im having trouble posting pics for some reason so heres a link to my hotmail accnt: http://storage.msn.com/s1pZ8pl_R1n1zEUFvxQ0X2iTfMo3X_u57oW351MhNjG5w8hZQ85Htggy0XKCiGJfgcOuG3wziIKge9uLYvRmsGSDA/00.jpg?MdToken=3862259094161306

your box looks wel sealed so its not the box. Two options defective sub maybe messed up VC or messed up amp but my money is on defective sub. Also check ur Rca's to make sure they arent shorting signal to the amp. Type R's normally sound good IMO and not hallow like you explained but i know what u mean.

Leaky box gives it kind of a hissing, air-rushing sound when you are next to it...I've had that happen so I'm ruling that out pretty much. Out of phase wouldn't produce good bass in the front of the car, it'd be crap all around.

My guess is one of two things, particle board (should never be used), or it's just the dynamics of the car. If the sound is clean up front there is quite possibly nothing wrong and it's just the acoustics of the car, try repositioning the box.

well first of all its in the trunk of a huyndai accent close to the back seat facing the back of the trunk. As Shinobi said I think 1 of my voice coils could be messed up since i can see it comin apart slightly ( a small strand of wire is cut ). The box is definately not leaking and I also tried 180 phase shift but that really doesnt fix the problem. Also would u guys recomend sending the sub into alpine for such a minor issue since I can always weld it on.

if it is the voice coil how could I tell if it is really damaged cuz the sub is pounding really hard and getting full excursion.

Test your coils resistance with a DMM.

Built yourself a box out of MDF, particle board is not good for boxes, it can flex much easier. Also with the particle board being much more porous than MDF, the actual wood is not 100% air tight.

does mdf wood like sound deaden the rattles in your box, i bought it a week ago and when i saw it it looked really compressed, my old sealed box i bought at best buy ****** with my 2 kicker cvrs it would rattle a ton especially with the lows

i just installed a 10" type R in a 0.7" cu ft sealed box and it is getting powered by alpine M301 . When I am driving the car I get rich bass but when in jump in the back the bass is distorted and sounds hollow. The box as a whole sounds hollow. It is completely sealed. A friend suggested adding poly fill to the inside, but that didnt help. I wonder if it is my design of the box or something else is wrong. Would a ported box change the sound that dramatically on this kind of sub. Any help is appreciated THANK YOU.
P.S. im having trouble posting pics for some reason so heres a link to my hotmail accnt: http://storage.msn.com/s1pZ8pl_R1n1zEUFvxQ0X2iTfMo3X_u57oW351MhNjG5w8hZQ85Htggy0XKCiGJfgcOuG3wziIKge9uLYvRmsGSDA/00.jpg?MdToken=3862259094161306
If the box is made out of particle board, thats your problem, you can seal the seams all day long but the board it's self is letting air escape. Use MDF...

oh man im tired of this. Iv made 3 seald boxes and wanna learn to make good enclosures but all of them sound like **** compared to the stock boxes my friends buy. So I guess its time for me to try my luck with a ported enclosure, which I really doubt Ill get right..... thx for the help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.