Subsonic Filter??

turtlestrap

Oregon
Hi, Im still a novice at car audio and wanted some help. I built a transmission line box for an HDS208 8" woofer.

I did some researching and found some information about setting subsonic filters. For ported boxes, I read, you should set the subsonic at half an octave below tuning frequency of the box.

I also read some information about transmission lines that said they are supposed to have great bandwidth and efficiency such that the output of the box, a whole octave below the tuning frequency, will be just as powerful as the tuning frequency in a lot of cases.

That said, should I be worrying about a subsonic filter? The amplifier I'm planning to get does not have one. I want to get a Rockford Fosgate R500x1D. Amazon Link

Any input would be much appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

would you be opposed to looking at a different amp in that price range, there would be lots of choices that would have a subsonic filter.
x2 just as an examplehttp://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20681_Soundstream_REF1500.aspx I had the 1.1000 and it sounded really good you would need to come up with $25 more well worth it to protect your sub.

x2 just as an examplehttp://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20681_Soundstream_REF1500.aspx I had the 1.1000 and it sounded really good you would need to come up with $25 more well worth it to protect your sub.
Why is it rated 500 @ 2 and also 500 @ 1? Im not very well rounded about amplifiers but isn't the rating @ 1 ohm supposed to be higher?

Why is it rated 500 @ 2 and also 500 @ 1? Im not very well rounded about amplifiers but isn't the rating @ 1 ohm supposed to be higher?
its one of the features of this line makes same power 1 or 2 ohms for flexibility nice if you end up adding or changing subs.

That RF has a filter.
Not a Subsonic filter. Has a low pass filter

r500x1d.jpg

Probably asking on the wrong forum unless you want misinformation.

Short answer I would still use the SS filter if you are not 100% sure what notes all your music plays... Don't want to be surprised by 18hz out of nowhere and throw the coil out of the gap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.