Subwoofer life expectancy???

Abneriel
10+ year member

How long does a typical subwoofer last? I know that eventually any electrical piece is going to die, but I've had some "old school" JL 12W6's since they were JL's top sub (I've had them in use continually since 1998). I've since gone down to a single W6, being pushed by a JL 500.1 (it's been pushed by the 500.1 since around Sept. '03) and it's still alive and kicking in the same sealed enclosure it's been in since 2000 (before it was in three different boxes, two bandpass and another sealed). I plan on replacing it one of these days, but as for now, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, so it'll stay. I was just wondering how much more life I can expect out of the sub? It's been 8 years now and most people I talk to say that subs generally last 3-5 years. Is 8 a long time? Have I just gotten lucky?

How long does a typical subwoofer last? I know that eventually any electrical piece is going to die, but I've had some "old school" JL 12W6's since they were JL's top sub (I've had them in use continually since 1998). I've since gone down to a single W6, being pushed by a JL 500.1 (it's been pushed by the 500.1 since around Sept. '03) and it's still alive and kicking in the same sealed enclosure it's been in since 2000 (before it was in three different boxes, two bandpass and another sealed). I plan on replacing it one of these days, but as for now, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, so it'll stay. I was just wondering how much more life I can expect out of the sub? It's been 8 years now and most people I talk to say that subs generally last 3-5 years. Is 8 a long time? Have I just gotten lucky?
A well built sub, that isn't being abused should last that long. A lot of people throw twice the amount of power at a sub than it should have on it, and build the wrong enclosures for them. Those will both reduce the life of a sub.

But if you use a well built sub, how it was made to be used, it should last for years.

The main thing that deteroriates is the suspension. Other than that, most well built subs can last for quite a long time (you'd be surprised).I still have subs/speakers that are 15+ years old. . . . . . somewhere.

My dad has 4 interior surround speakers he bought back in the late 70's. They have 3 tweets, 2 mids, and an 18 inch "woofer". They haven't been used continuously since then, but they are still sounding VERY good. Clean, crisp music ...

longest lasting sub i had was a RF fosgate punch Z with 200 watts on it in a 1.25 cu ft box sealed lasted all my highschool years till one day the surround split and it gave out on me, lasted 4 years, i was surprised

I had 2 Hifonics Olympian 10's from around '95 in my old Firebird. I sold the car and kept the box and subs. Sold them within a week to one of my boys for his TA, and he still has the box in his jeep now. Same subs, eleven years later!! For a "budget" sub from back in the day, I'd say that's pretty kick a$$!

The only time I've seen speakers give up is the ones with thin foam surrounds, especially stock speakers in cars. The UV gets to them.

I've seen a couple of 10s go due to this which were in home audio. But they were 20 years old anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.