Surge 4k or Taramps Smart 8k?

Bass911
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Dallas,TX
I think the Surge cost more, but both are pretty much the same price. I know the Taramps is supposed to do more power, but I keep seeing people saying that the Surge seem to hit harder than Brazilian. I'm running 2 Sundown x12v3s. I'm not really looking at the Surge 7k because it is $350 more

I think the Surge cost more, but both are pretty much the same price. I know the Taramps is supposed to do more power, but I keep seeing people saying that the Surge seem to hit harder than Brazilian. I'm running 2 Sundown x12v3s. I'm not really looking at the Surge 7k because it is $350 more
Surge is a Korean board design half-bridge design, Taramps is a full bridge design. I have run both. The Surge is definitely a more robust design, but watts is watts in the end. Will be selling an extra Surge 2000.4 $395 shipped to the lower 48 if anyone is interested. Will probably list it this weekend. The surge amps are very well made, clean power, low noise floor amps. Mot Korean board design/built amps are. The Taramps, is a full bridge "Brazilian" design that is great too. If you're considering a fullbridge monobloc, then the Soundigital EVO5, EVOX, EVOX2 or the EVOPS (what I'm running currently) or the Tatamps SMART/SMART BASS or BIG BOSS units are worth a look. Quality full bridge designs are every bit as good as their Korean design counterparts. Truth be known, some of the earlier RF and JL are full bridge amps still in production today. The future is in GaN fet technology amplifiers (GaN 3 Gallium Nitride Powered Class D). Tiny boxes, loads of power. Check out this tiny 11.5x5x2 168x8 Soundigital GaN fet amp with a SNR of 114db! https://soundigitalusa.com/products/2000-8-gan/

Last edited:
Surge is a Korean board design half-bridge design, Taramps is a full bridge design. I have run both. The Surge is definitely a more robust design, but watts is watts in the end. Will be selling an extra Surge 2000.4 $395 shipped to the lower 48 if anyone is interested. Will probably list it this weekend. The surge amps are very well made, clean power, low noise floor amps. Mot Korean board design/built amps are. The Taramps, is a full bridge "Brazilian" design that is great too. If you're considering a fullbridge monobloc, then the Soundigital EVO5, EVOX, EVOX2 or the EVOPS (what I'm running currently) or the Tatamps SMART/SMART BASS or BIG BOSS units are worth a look. Quality full bridge designs are every bit as good as their Korean design counterparts. Truth be known, some of the earlier RF and JL are full bridge amps still in production today. The future is in GaN fet technology amplifiers (GaN 3 Gallium Nitride Powered Class D). Tiny boxes, loads of power. Check out this tiny 11.5x5x2 168x8 Soundigital GaN fet amp with a SNR of 114db! https://soundigitalusa.com/products/2000-8-gan/
I currently have a sfb5000, but I don't think it will be enough power. The Smart 8k looks like it does more power than the Big Boss 8k. Some people say they can't tell the difference, but I think I will hear it if I test it. Some guy said it was a night and day difference between his Salt 12k vs his Taramps 12k. He said the Salt was hitting harder, but he said the Taramps wasn't bad. Another guy said he thought the MD series sounded better than the Taramps bass 8k. He said the bass was more aggressive on the MD. I still don't know what I'm going with yet. I didn't want to deal with the MD not having dual inputs.

Watts is watts is mostly true. This may help. Keep in mind that the side by side was done with the HD series, not as nice as the SMArt BASS or the BIG BOSS. Kind of putts things in perspective. Barevids is a top notch amplifier repair person in the UK. He knows the sonic cignater and the insides of amplifiers intimately.

Watts is watts is mostly true. This may help. Keep in mind that the side by side was done with the HD series, not as nice as the SMArt BASS or the BIG BOSS. Kind of putts things in perspective. Barevids is a top notch amplifier repair person in the UK. He knows the sonic cignater and the insides of amplifiers intimately.
Sometimes trying to explain this I get a little electrical engineer nerdy sounding. Here is some info, same guy, pretty easy to understand why full bridge is here to stay. And with the advent of GaN fet amps, tiney and powerful clean amplification is going to be full bridge GaN fet units.

Last edited:
Sometimes trying to explain this I get a little electrical engineer nerdy sounding. Here is some info, same guy, pretty easy to understand why full bridge is here to stay. And with the advent of GaN fet amps, tiney and powerful clean amplification is going to be full bridge GaN fet units.
Check out this tiney 11.5 x 5 x 2" - 8 channel (165 x 8) Sondigital GaN fet amp with a SN ratio of 114.7 db! https://toledodealerservices.com/pr...bVJEjmPAvYIOg-tuQbBWWlc1qg2wYe6oaApIAEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Yeah, I've already seen this video. I guess I will be trying the Smart 8k.

I'm thinking about the jp63 now. People keep saying there is a difference in sound, but almost a $400 price difference? I'm not seeing good videos of Brazilian hitting the lows?

I'd look into the SMART BASS Taramps, newer designed semi or fully regulated power supplies, they meet or exceed rated and cost half as much as their Korean board counterparts. In subwoofer use, watts is watts. That said, and because we're talking about someone else's money, either of these will suffice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...