Switched from Eclipse Alum. to RF Power, need box help..

Rurockn
10+ year member

IL
I have made the switch from Eclipse aluminums to a single rockford power hx2 12 after two of the Eclipse cone's ripped and one of my friends ripped (yes, the aluminum actually ripped). Since they don't cover this under warranty I'm pissed and switched back to the old reliable Power HX2 12" I've had sitting around. I'm just tired of the small .85 cuft sealed box that it is in and want to go to a ported box or atleast a harder hitting sealed box. Does anyone have any recommendations? I had to reformat my hard drive and I lost the "bass-box" program I used to have and an only find SUB13D online, which has given me differing results in the past at times. The specs I found online for the sub are as follows:

RFR3122

Dual 2 ohm coils

FS 26 hz

QTS .338

VAS 1.46 cuft

Xmax .74 in

SPL 85

RMS 1000 watts

Max 2000 watts

I used to have this sub in a system with a slotted box just over 2cuft that sounded great, but traded the box off to someone //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I will also be powering the sub with a Hifonics (yea yea) Brutus 1500 mono amp @1 ohm that I've been using for my home audio system. After those two eclipses going I'm not about to spend any more money for a little while..

Thanks everyone!!

Not trying to offend you, but how on earth would this actually happen unless it was abused? I've sold these subs for years and have never had an issue like this. Were these the newer SW series or the older models?

No offense taken. I had the older single coil 6ohm models. My friend at Stereo One showed me a shelf with a few of the older models that broke similar to mine. The one sub actually pulled the voice coil right off the cone... it didn't break the glues bond, it actually ripped the aluminum. The other sub ripped in a circular pattern following exactly the lines that the aluminum cone was spun on from the factory. I have never seen one of the 2001 and up models do this much damage, I have only seen the coil seperate. The newer cones seem to be about twice as thick as the older ones.

To me that shows that the gain of the amp was too high, thus causing a loss of control of the motion of the driver. Not that I want to point fingers at any shop but how were they setting up the gains, especially if they have a shelf full of these subs. This to me and other authorized dealers can mean one of two things, a drastic failure of the design of the sub, thus all dealers would have had the same issues or improper installation.

Anyone have ideas for the box volume/port dimensions...?

Like I mentioned I only have Sub13D to calculate box dimensions.

3cu.ft. box

4"x4" square port

35hz.

19.22" or 8.37" in length

3cu.ft. box

4" diameter port

35hz.

14.86" or 6.29" in length

both boxes have a cutoff frequency of 27.9hz and resonant frequency of 25.19hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.