System Design

Spaceboy464
10+ year member

I'm trying to build a pretty good Sound Quality Semi-Competition System. My budget is about $2500 and this will probably include all the stuff to build the custom box. A local stereo shop recomended:

DynAudios for the doors (fine with that)

1 ZapCo REF360 (Doors)

1 ZapCo REF350 (Subs)

Diamond Audio M5102.4 :)-/)

How does this seem to you guys? I really like Elemental Desgins subs and will probably go that route. My next question is what size subs? I'm looking for movie therater type (deep,tight) bass. Also should I look into putting a cap on the power lines or not? Thanks. This board seems like it has alot of good, useful information.

even though you have the money for it, you could get by a lot cheaper on amps. Someone else will have a more informative reply. (I Don't deal with amps too much)

I'm trying to build a pretty good Sound Quality Semi-Competition System. My budget is about $2500 and this will probably include all the stuff to build the custom box. A local stereo shop recomended:DynAudios for the doors (fine with that)

1 ZapCo REF360 (Doors)

1 ZapCo REF350 (Subs)

Diamond Audio M5102.4 :)-/)

How does this seem to you guys? I really like Elemental Desgins subs and will probably go that route. My next question is what size subs? I'm looking for movie therater type (deep,tight) bass. Also should I look into putting a cap on the power lines or not? Thanks. This board seems like it has alot of good, useful information.
The things that will make or break your system's sound is your equalizer, speakers, and install. Spend a little extra and pick up an equalizer from AudioControl. I have no experiecne with your speakers, amps, or subs, but listening to the speakers before you buy them is your best bet. The amps are fine, as long as you can afford them. Just make sure you set them up correctly (gains, etc).

As for an Elemental Designs sub, I'd go for a 15a. That will give you some great sound quality that's pretty deep. If you don't want to go for a 15" sub, I'd still recommend anything in the A Series, simply because of the sound quality levels.

This board could get into a huge debate on whether caps are helpful or not. I'd say if you have dimming problems, do the big 3, then the battery, and then the alternator. If you're STILL getting dimmage (which you really shouldn't), pick up a cap from BestBuy. If it doesn't help, return it =).

The install for the subs and amp and the placement of your speakers will determine how good your system will sound. You may also want to put some sound deadening from SecondSkinAudio if you hear any rattles after your setup is complete. Good luck man! Hope I helped a bit!

To save some money....and get more out of your money, look into buying online unless your getting an amazing deal from the shop.

The dynaudio's are good, also look into CDT eurosports, Focal Diamond hex's...etc.

Zapco amps, along with Arc amps possibly

I'd also go with 1 15" eD A, or 1 15" magnum d2...go sealed with plenty of power or if u want the low low theater style like u sed...go ported tuned real low like 27-28hz. your two statements are kind of contradictory...tight/deep/movie theater...i thing of deep and low and rumbling about movie theater. Anyway, i'd go ported tuned low...much better output and still great SQ. good luck, peace

NG

The things that will make or break your system's sound is your equalizer, speakers, and install. Spend a little extra and pick up an equalizer from AudioControl. I have no experiecne with your speakers, amps, or subs, but listening to the speakers before you buy them is your best bet. The amps are fine, as long as you can afford them. Just make sure you set them up correctly (gains, etc).
As for an Elemental Designs sub, I'd go for a 15a. That will give you some great sound quality that's pretty deep. If you don't want to go for a 15" sub, I'd still recommend anything in the A Series, simply because of the sound quality levels.

This board could get into a huge debate on whether caps are helpful or not. I'd say if you have dimming problems, do the big 3, then the battery, and then the alternator. If you're STILL getting dimmage (which you really shouldn't), pick up a cap from BestBuy. If it doesn't help, return it =).

The install for the subs and amp and the placement of your speakers will determine how good your system will sound. You may also want to put some sound deadening from SecondSkinAudio if you hear any rattles after your setup is complete. Good luck man! Hope I helped a bit!
WOW THANKS ALOT! That sure helped me out. I'm kind of hesitant on 15s because of the space I plan/have to work with. Btw, What is the big 3? Thanks alot!

In this case I will agree with ridge and recommend a good Audio Control processor like the 3.1. I really do think that your road to SQ will be limited by the computer that you are going to use but it an easy thing to change later on. What vehicle is this equipment for?

To save some money....and get more out of your money, look into buying online unless your getting an amazing deal from the shop. The dynaudio's are good, also look into CDT eurosports, Focal Diamond hex's...etc.

Zapco amps, along with Arc amps possibly

I'd also go with 1 15" eD A, or 1 15" magnum d2...go sealed with plenty of power or if u want the low low theater style like u sed...go ported tuned real low like 27-28hz. your two statements are kind of contradictory...tight/deep/movie theater...i thing of deep and low and rumbling about movie theater. Anyway, i'd go ported tuned low...much better output and still great SQ. good luck, peace

NG
Yes I plan to buy online but a local shop said if I see things for lower then the shop has, come in and we can talk. I guess I'm not quite sure how to describe it but "Deep, low, and rumbling" seems to be what I want. Thanks for your help. Also any idea on where I can learn about building the box you suggested?

"I'm trying to build a pretty good Sound Quality Semi-Competition System"

This is not the avenue of a 15" subwoofer, it is the way of dual 10" or dual 12" subwoofers. The 15" can play hella deep bass but usually struggles with upper frequencies which will leave a huge hole in frequency response for a sq competition system in most cases. The benefit to the smaller drivers is their ability to play with force in the upper frequencies and with the two drivers playing in unison with the proper box, deep bass is also possible.

"I'm trying to build a pretty good Sound Quality Semi-Competition System"
This is not the avenue of a 15" subwoofer, it is the way of dual 10" or dual 12" subwoofers. The 15" can play hella deep bass but usually struggles with upper frequencies which will leave a huge hole in frequency response for a sq competition system in most cases. The benefit to the smaller drivers is their ability to play with force in the upper frequencies and with the two drivers playing in unison with the proper box, deep bass is also possible.
That is what I was thinking. What do you think two 12s or two 10s? I listen to Rap/R and B/Rock/Pop/Jazz/Dance/Classical (rarley lol)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.