Testing sub resistance. Am I doing something wrong?

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Recruit
Kansas
I have a GE2525 multimeter thats probably ten years old. I've been trying to test my sub (Kicker CompR with dual 2 ohm coils) to make sure I have it wired correctly. No matter what I do, I get a reading of 0.0.0. I've tried testing it at the box terminal. I've tried unhooking the wires from the amp and testing it that way. I've taken the sub out of the box and tested each coil. Everything gives me the same reading. When pushing down on the sub, the numbers change but always end up back at zero.

The sub works (I've got sound, anyway) and the multimeter has a new battery. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad multimeter?

Be sure to have the lowest resistance range selected (typically 200 ohms).
I just read an incandescent 60 watt bulb and got 18 ohms, like the post above said. NOT an LED bulb, those are much different.

Test each coils DC resistance, separately,They should read about .1, to .2 under the impedance noted. It they don't you have a bad coil or a bad multimeter.

A 100 watt bulb gives me a reading of 0.0.1. A 25 watt bulb gives me 0.0.4. So I'm guessing that the multimeter is working.

If I'm not getting a reading on either coil, does that mean they're bad? And if so, how am I getting sound out of the sub?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I'm just confused at this point.

Test each coils DC resistance, separately,They should read about .1, to .2 under the impedance noted. It they don't you have a bad coil or a bad multimeter.
Yep, I did that and get zero on both. I have pictures I'll try and attach (never done it here before so I'm not sure how it works).

Attachments

• 20240711_105359.jpg
    20240711_105359.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240711_105340.jpg
    20240711_105340.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
I may pick one up today. I did test a few of the stock speakers that I removed from the doors and dash and got the same 0.0.0 reading on them as well.
There shouldn't be an extra decimal point in the display. At least, I've never seen anything like that. 0.0.4 makes no sense at all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...