Um how can i get max power out of my amp?

brandontw
10+ year member

just some guy
Reno, NV
Um, I guess i messed up when buying my amp and sub. I bought one vega 12d4 12" 400W RMS sub and i bought a kenwood kac-7201 amp. The amp does 460RMSx1 At 4 ohms and this is what i want to get out of it. but i bought the dual 4 ohm version of the sub and i dont think the amp would handle 2 ohm mono and i dont even know what my power would be cut down to if i ran it at 8 ohm mono. I know i can plug one channel into each voice coil but that would only give me 150 per channel, thats 300w rms total. I plan on buying one more of each the amp and the sub is there a way i could wire it that way to get my max power?

And for now while i only have one sub and amp what should i do? is there like a 2 ohm resistor i can buy to up the resistance if i wire the sub to 2 ohms?

No, No, No No, haha sorry you are kinda out of luck. Buying another amp and sub won't help, just put you in the exact same predicament x2. At 8ohms it would be about 230 watts or so, so thats less than running it stereo (1 to each channel). You could use a resistor, but half the power would sitll go to it the resistor and burn off as heat, so then the subs only getting 400 watts. At this point you can't win. Get a new amp.

****!

well still 400 watts in mono with a resistor would be better that 300 in stereo 2 channel mode right?

what kind of a resistor would i need?

so my next amp and sub i will just get the 4 ohm svc version and another kenwood amp maybye unless anyone has suggestions?

****!well still 400 watts in mono with a resistor would be better that 300 in stereo 2 channel mode right?

what kind of a resistor would i need?

Oops, I made a typo. The sub would be getting 230 watts because 460/2=230. The resistor would make the ohm load 4, but burn off half the power as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.