understanding ohms?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nickkramirez
10+ year member

agg
ok

I have a single 12" 2 ohm 2006 model Kicker L7.

i'm running it with the Hifonics Bx1205d mono amp.

the sub is 2 ohms, and the wattage the amp puts out to a 2 ohm sub is 900 watts.

I understand that, if the sub was 1 ohm, the amp would put 1200 watts to the sub, and if it was a 4 ohm sub, it would get 450 watts from the amp.

ok

so I want to buy another L7 and i'll need a new amp to run 900 - 1000 watts to each sub.

I don't know what kind of amp to look for, or how to understand the ohms.

both subs will be 2 ohms, and from what i heard, if I were to just use the amp i have now, it wouldn't put another 900 watts to the other sub, but it would just split the original 900 watts between each sub, and give each sub 450 watts.

so what kind of amp would i look for to run that power (1000 watts) to each sub?

and how would the ohms come into configuration?

would there be a total of 4 ohms when it comes to the subs, so the amp would put out whatever it says it puts out to 4 ohms subs?

if anyone understands what i'm saying, please this is what i need help on. or if you know of an amp that i can use and explain to me why it's the amp i'm looking for, then i would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

First you need to do a bit of research. mostly about wiring and how it affects the load an amp sees.(how many ohms) you most likely have a dual 4ohm l7. wired in paralell to make a 2ohm load, or you have a dual 2ohm l7, in which case you need to do a bit more research also. unless someone has alot of time on their hands, no one is gonna fully answer your question, although i am sure someone can point you in the right direction.

either a really good long explanation, or someone pointing me in the right direction would be really helpful. everything i thought i knew about my own system was apparently wrong, but thanks, maybe i'll learn everything i need to know now

I think you just aren't taking into account the fact that your subwoofer has TWO voice coils, each of them are at 2 Ohms. You don't have a "2 Ohm Sub" you have a sub with dual 2-Ohm voice coils.

If you wire the two coils together in series you will get 4 ohms, in parallel you will get 1 Ohm.

If you buy another of the same woofer you will have a total of four resistances to wire up and calculate, which will only make things harder for you. Definitely do some research and maybe disconnect the sub or at least turn the gain WAY down before you push it too hard.

this is how the amp is wired according to sounddomain.com the place i bought the sub and box from together already.

Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Wired For A Single 2-Ohm Load

so in the end, was i right about it getting the 900 watts from the amp i have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.