volts dont drop on free air?

Justin braaapp

CarAudio.com Elite
Today as some of you know I was experiencing some trouble with my amp which i got all figured out. But anyway when i was testing it by free airing my sub I noticed that the volts only dropped into the high 13's instead of the normal 12's when I have it in the box. IS this normal, can someone explain this to me please?

Theres a good chance you werent sending nearly as much power to it. The cones control is limited to only the drivers suspension outside of a box. so if you were only tunring it up until reached certain excursion levels, it was receiving less power than the same distance traveled inside of an enclosure

Theres a good chance you werent sending nearly as much power to it. The cones control is limited to only the drivers suspension outside of a box. so if you were only tunring it up until reached certain excursion levels, it was receiving less power than the same distance traveled inside of an enclosure
I was turning it up to the same volume i do inside the box but I think I understand what you're saying

I don't know exactly how the impedance curve of a driver differs free air from in an enclosure but was always under that impression that theres always more rise in resistance inside of the box. That's why i think you weren't giving it as much power. Although i suppose if what you were playing free air was very close to the resonance of the sub youd see a very large spike in impedance and hence the amp was producing less power. Id like to hear some other more educated responses though

I don't know exactly how the impedance curve of a driver differs free air from in an enclosure but was always under that impression that theres always more rise in resistance inside of the box. That's why i think you weren't giving it as much power. Although i suppose if what you were playing free air was very close to the resonance of the sub youd see a very large spike in impedance and hence the amp was producing less power. Id like to hear some other more educated responses though
Thanks for that! I believe I understand it now a little better but yea id like to hear others chime in as well. Just something I personally thought was odd and couldn't figure it out

Thanks for that! I believe I understand it now a little better but yea id like to hear others chime in as well. Just something I personally thought was odd and couldn't figure it out
Its nothing weird like you may have thought it to be at the time. There is math behind everything and a logical explanation hah

Its nothing weird like you may have thought it to be at the time. There is math behind everything and a logical explanation hah
I just wasn't sure if my amp was acting up or something and not powering the sub all the way haha probably just me over thinking things

I just wasn't sure if my amp was acting up or something and not powering the sub all the way haha probably just me over thinking things
Yes i would say your just thinking too much. How often do you really free air and compare voltage drop ya know?

Yes i would say your just thinking too much. How often do you really free air and compare voltage drop ya know?
Thats the first time I've done it

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

and it was just to make sure my amp wasn't cutting out anymore

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.