Waters effect on system...

junocdx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
AR
My cousin put his car in a ditch filled with water... and the water covered every part of the car except for the tip of the trunk. I'm wanting to know if the water could screw up his subs, amp, or HU.

We let everything dry out really well, but want to make sure before we plug them in and send electricity to them.

well, if there was a short, the fue would've blown first, and possibly saved the internals.

Why don't you open the amp and visibly check to se that all water residue has evaporated, before plugging in the amp? I think you might have to expect rusting of some components.

Same with the subs, the voicecoils would have to be dry, and since they came into contact with water, maybe the VC's could corrode or something. Just make sure everything is dry. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i would think the amp and HU would be pretty screwed up from water damage, im sure there was a surge when it all got wet.....but dont take my word for it

I think you guys might be missing the point of this question. I'm sure the guy didn't purposely put his car in the ditch.

The only way there should be any real damage is if the components were on when the car went under. If they were off all the way through the process of getting wet and drying, you might be lucky. It certainly doesn't hurt to try. The HU is probably f.ucked either way, but the amp and speakers are probably ok.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.