what am i getting wrong? sundown amp has no bass

ttt123

CarAudio.com Recruit
michigan
Hey guys, not really a please help question as its more of an I'm curious if its me or the amp.

I bought a sundown amp a while ago and have tried it on a few different speakers and boxes... why does this thing just move the speaker and not put out any bass. it will bounce the speaker like crazy but ... it just doesn't put out the bass. i have tried this on Alpine type r's, Memphis and Skar speakers.

On the contrary i have a skar amp with those same speakers and they all performed wayyy better.

The sundown is 2k watts and the skar is 15k watts. the sundown and the skar will move the speakers about the same but sound completely different.

i'm older and not the most informed on this newer tech in sound vs in the 90's when i was really into it. but.. i still love my systems lol is it me and my lack of knowledge on how to make that amp perform or the amps?

thanks

Well what are the amps gain, SSF, LPF, phase, and bass boost set at.
i'v tried adjusting it multiple ways going off advice from others but i'm assuming ... maybe i'm still doing it wrong.. right now i have it set up on a skar 10" in a skar box in my bronco. i have the settings all set to half way and its just kind of ... meh for bass.

That's why.
i get that could be the problem but i've tried this amp a few different ways with those settings and all i do is make the speakers bounce more or less.. it doesn't seem to give more bass. the scar amp makes bass and move the speakers.

I'm not saying your wrong, just that i've tried soo many different things to try and get bass out of this amp and nothing seems to work.

I'm not saying your wrong, just that i've tried soo many different things to try and get bass out of this amp and nothing seems to work.
Set the LPF to 80 Hz, Subsonic to 35 Hz, Phase to Zero, Gain completely down. Turn on the radio as usual and turn Gain up about 1/4. If the bass still sounds bad, turn it off and disconnect one of the RCAs. Re-test it.

Id like to ask
What make and model # are the sub/subs being used?
What type of enclosure are you using? Ported /sealed? Tuned or prefab, and what are the dimensions?
What radio/HU?
what size power supply and ground wiring? wire size and type?
what year# of the vehicle? Size of alternator?
have you done the big 3?
what type and group size is your battery under the hood?
Just a little more to clarify the sub stage and supply

Id like to ask
What make and model # are the sub/subs being used?
What type of enclosure are you using? Ported /sealed? Tuned or prefab, and what are the dimensions?
What radio/HU?
what size power supply and ground wiring? wire size and type?
what year# of the vehicle? Size of alternator?
have you done the big 3?
what type and group size is your battery under the hood?
Just a little more to clarify the sub stage and supply
umm thats a lot lol if all those need to be perfect for this amp to perform then this amp ***** lol

ok so i have hooked this amp up to quite a few different speakers to see if it makes a difference and i get the same result.. tons of power, moves the speakers with ease but still low on the bass feel. i have tried it in ported and non-ported boxes with my two alpine type R 10", i have have tried it with my 10" skar in the supplied skar ported box for that speaker and same result, i have tried it with a 15" skar in a non-ported box(that one was the best result, but still couldn't compete against my skar amp)

the amp has tons of power it just doesn't put out bass. i have hooked up other amps in the last year with the same wires and they perform better.

H/U, alternator, big three etc.. again if i can hook up three other amps and they put out more power with non of that being taken into account but this sundown needs all those then ... this amp *****. it would be the princess.. everything must be perfect for me to do anything.

I bought it cuz a friend who "I came in 2nd place at world comp when i worked for Alpine" told me this amp would push my two 10"alpines well.. ya it pushed them crazy hard.. but the bass wasn't being felt throughout the car. its like its to clean if that makes sense. the other amps i have sound better, feel better etc.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ran out to my bronco for another pic real quick (I'm at work) so you guys can see the box.

Again.. I'm ok if you guys tell me I'm doing something wrong.. I just don't know.

I can change nothing other then swapping out to the skar amp which is a 1500D and it will rattle my vision with this set up as is. Switch back to this Sundown and I'm just moving the speaker.

I even hooked this amp up to my barn stereo system(A/C-D/C converter system) which has 4-12" and two 18" to power the 18's and it did poorly. Hooked up one of my kicker amps to the 18" and it shook the floor. My barn system is quite amazing lol

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2
At this point I think you may have gotten a dud. From all you have explained it sounds as if the amp filters are not playing low enough. Try using a tone generator application from the Appstore. Run a sweep to see how low the sound plays.
is that a thing .. genuine question? I will try and do that appstore thing.

is that a thing .. genuine question? I will try and do that appstore thing.
You have tried all possible variations of settings without success. Add to that, you have tried other amplifiers in it's stead to ascertain that the subs and audio source are not the issue. Only logical conclusion is faulty equipment. Also there have been complaints of some stores passing off returned merchandise as new.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...