When running 2 subs does RMS handling DOUBLE? =SUB HELP=

Participant count
  • Participant list

spracer03
10+ year member

CA
i need you audio experts opinions on my sub configuration, here are my 2 options right now...

running two alpine type R 12" 2ohm DVC subs into a 2ohm load into my alpine mrp-m500(500 RMS @ 2ohms)... my question is if the subs will handle 200-500 rms each will i be ok, or will i be in danger of damaging my subs from underpowering?

OR...

would it be better to get some JL audio 12w0-4's(from a friend) which JL says are 125RMS and run them into the M500 @ a 4ohm load(at which the amp will produce 300RMS)???...

cost wise the JL's would be wayyy cheaper... what do you guys think? im kinda new to the audio performance side of a car... ive always been into the go-fast side:cool:

No such thing as underpowering. That's just a gimick from shop owners to try to sell you ish that you don't need. The same thing happens when you turn down the volume on your HU. The mechanics is that the processor sends out a weaker level signal to the amps, which processes that and sends out less volts... so, "underpowering" = turning the volume down...

As far as the subs...

The Type ARRRGHHHS will be a lot louder, and maybe even sound better. Not really familiar with the wo's, but they're mad old. I'd buy them just to have them, but I don't think I'd use them over the ARRRGHHH.

EDIT:: I actually remember my Dad's helper telling me he had 3 w0's, and they wanged. So, yeah. Not sure what his definition of 'wanged' is. But, I know a lot of members on this forum run Type ARRRGHHHS.

hmm, maybe i can use the w0's to hold me over till i get the "Type ARRRGHHHS" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif... would the R's sound "alright" with the M500? im not looking for over the top bass, just something to compliment the highs i plan on having with my cdr-9886 deck and spr-17s components(front) and spr-17c(rear) running on a mrp-f600 @ 100x4... (nothing is installed yet by the way)

and what should i expect overall from my system?

If they handle 200-500 each and you are powering them with 500 across both subs, thats 250, I don't see how that is underpowering them if it is within the manufacturers rated power?

BTW most people on here say give type RHHGHGHGS:DKNJAF:'s 1000rms each //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

As for keepin up with the components, they will do fine, I have 150watts goin to my front end and my subs are seeing about 240 each, it's actually a pretty balanced setup...but that also has to do with the efficiency of the amps and speakers...and the box.

So you will be fine with that setup. You can do more power to the subs, but isn't necessary. IDSkot is right about the underpowering gimmick

awesome... another question, how would A 12" R in a ported box stack up to the 2 JL's in a JL powerwedge box??

Wow.... Very surprised about the info given to you.

The Type-R's would be severly underpowered. 400WRMS would be the minimum I would give one Type-R. The JL's would be the much better drivers for the situation.

Then whats with the attacks at shops? Its no gimmick, its having a frippin clue and making drivers be able to do what they were intended to do at its full extent. I am really lost why this forum hates shops so **** bad.

my first setup was one 12" type-r with an mtx thunder280 (280 watts) in a sealed box, and it wanged pretty hard in the coupe. upgraded to 600 watts and it got a good bit louder, but off 280 watts it really moved.

i think youd be happier with the R's, plus you can upgrade an amp later on and they will REALLY shine. with the JLs, you would have to buy new subs later on when you bumped up the power.

with the JLs, you would have to buy new subs later on when you bumped up the power.
the good thing about that is that i wont have fork out much cash at all right now for the jl's... looks like its the jl's for now... i just gotta order a amp kit fron knu and ill make a lil build thread for my first system... thanks guys you all are very helpful
as for the rest of my system do you think it will be well balanced with the f600 amp running spr-17s components up front and spr-17c 6.5's in the rear??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.