FEATURED Why is my 2ohm subwoofer showing as 8ohm?

Hobib Ali

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Im using a multi meter
to ohm setting
i have a Alpine R-W12D2 Subwoofer. dual voic coil

It doesnt matter how i connect it the multi meter shows 8ohm?

how is this possible if this is a new certified 2 ohm subwoofer?

Can someone help me as I have 2 of these subs and I have a 1000 watt RMS JL Audio JX1000/1d amp but i believe it runs at 500 watts if the subs are 4ohm

Just really confused, and figuring the best way to wire these subs, but the 8ohm showing doesnt make sense unless im doing somthing wrong?

1719227941168.png

Take the Jumper out and test each coil individually - DC resistance on each should be around 1.8-1.9 ohms.

Could be a factory goof, dual 4 instead of the dual 2 ohms coils noted.

Last edited:
My advise check your meter on any other speaker without a crossover connected to that speaker car speakers are typically 4 ohms but readings between 1/ 8 ohms is possible compare your reading with the sticker on the speaker if all is good we know meter is good
Now remove jumper cable that is link wire from subwoofer terminals checker each coil individually red to + Black to negative - terminals are next to each other as a pair check reading should be 2 ohms

He’s probably not going to update, he also posted at the diyaudio forum in the car audio section. His meter always reads 80 on any setting. 🤪 would have been nice to include that info right away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Hobib Ali

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hobib Ali
UK
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views