Will flipping subs around so magnet is on outside hurt them?

Nickie

I have two oldschool silvercone p3's in a memphis audio ported box, I want to know if I flip the subs around so the cones are facing into the box, will this hurt my subs? will it hit deeper since obviously there will be more space in the box? I am wanting low bass, so trying to think of ways to safely do it, I know having a box built is better, but will this make it a little deeper?

That will work. If you don't change anything else, you'll be out phase with the rest of your speakers, though. Being out of phase doesn't hurt anything, but it won't sound as good and may not be as loud as being in phase.

To fix phase:

If your amp has a phase knob, set it to 180. If not, you'll want to swap the positive and negative speaker wires from the amp to the sub, so that the sub is pulling backwards when it would usually be pushing forward.

T said it perfectly. It won't hurt a thing, but play with your phase to make sure you're getting the best sound out of it that you can. I actually ran my first SA-15 inverted because the box was a tad small, it worked great (aside from me accidentally busting a terminal off when we put it in the trunk, be careful!).

I plan on building a 4th soon and if i have the subs inverted in the sealed section is it going to change the tuning of the ported section besides the obvious displacement of the subs itself

I plan on building a 4th soon and if i have the subs inverted in the sealed section is it going to change the tuning of the ported section besides the obvious displacement of the subs itself
you just need to account for the displacement. Some guys invert in 4th orders for cooling reasons. Dont know how much affect it has there, and others use it to gain a bit of space in the sealed side.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.