Will I be disappointed with a sealed 8"?

Imperiumwolf

CarAudio.com Newbie
Kansas
Hey, everyone. I've been out of the car audio game for a while but I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

Crutchfield has a sealed enclosure for 8" subs that will fit perfectly behind the center console. I'm looking at running a Kicker 400.1 to a dual 2 ohm 8" Alpine Type R (they have one in their outlet store for a really good price).

My only concern is that it won't be enough. I listen to a lot of different music, but mostly hard rock/metal (Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse, etc) and a lot of 90's rap, so I like it to dig deep at times. I'm just afraid a sealed 8" will not be able to do this. My last (and best) subwoofer was well over a decade ago. It was a ported SSA Dcon on 300 watts in a small SUV and I could get it to bounce the steering wheel.

I realize my idea sounds really weird. I'm looking at middle ground for budget. Nothing is set in stone, but I don't want absolute entry level and I dont want top of the line. I've never had an 8" before so I really have no idea how they perform. Should I just spend the money and go for an underseat enclosure (leaning towards a FoxBox) and a 10" or 12" so I won't be let down?

It depends on the sub and your expectations. If you want to rattle the neighborhood then an 8 probably won't do it. If your main system is stock or close, then an 8 is plenty enough to fill in the low end. I talked with a professional installer a few years ago and he said that a sealed 8 was the most common install that they did.

It depends on the sub and your expectations. If you want to rattle the neighborhood then an 8 probably won't do it. If your main system is stock or close, then an 8 is plenty enough to fill in the low end. I talked with a professional installer a few years ago and he said that a sealed 8 was the most common install that they did.
Honestly an 8 probably would have been enough...for now. I ended up ordering the FoxBox (sealed 12" with 10" adapter) just a little while ago.

That is the issue right there. You would have spent on something that would have been replaced probably within a year.
I still went small (good deal from Crutchfield on a 400 watt Kicker amp and a Comp R 10"). I wanted to dip my toes back in the water instead of going full send. I'm sure I'll upgrade down the road, but at least I'll have a little more flexibility with the FoxBox.

Hey, everyone. I've been out of the car audio game for a while but I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab.

Crutchfield has a sealed enclosure for 8" subs that will fit perfectly behind the center console. I'm looking at running a Kicker 400.1 to a dual 2 ohm 8" Alpine Type R (they have one in their outlet store for a really good price).

My only concern is that it won't be enough. I listen to a lot of different music, but mostly hard rock/metal (Slipknot, Cannibal Corpse, etc) and a lot of 90's rap, so I like it to dig deep at times. I'm just afraid a sealed 8" will not be able to do this. My last (and best) subwoofer was well over a decade ago. It was a ported SSA Dcon on 300 watts in a small SUV and I could get it to bounce the steering wheel.

I realize my idea sounds really weird. I'm looking at middle ground for budget. Nothing is set in stone, but I don't want absolute entry level and I dont want top of the line. I've never had an 8" before so I really have no idea how they perform. Should I just spend the money and go for an underseat enclosure (leaning towards a FoxBox) and a 10" or 12" so I won't be let down?

The 8" sealed will not sound anything like a ported box. Even a 6" in a ported will hit harder than an 8" in a sealed. However, the bass, from that 8", might surprise you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...