Wtb: (4) tc sounds 5400 motors

Participant count
  • Participant list

Thewes
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
I know there are a couple of guys on here that are extremely knowledgeable regarding TC woofers/motors and building drivers in general, so if any of you can chime in here I would appreciate it.

A friend of mine is looking to build four 15'' TC drivers, preferably 4'' VC's so I am assuming he needs the 5400 motor. I'm also assuming all 5400 motors have identical gaps, so we wouldn't have to worry about mis-matched motors. I'm taking this in baby steps and from the ground up, so any and all help is appreciated. He has cash on hand, so if you have motors, shoot me a PM or post in this thread.

Thanks.

TC 5200 motors are 4" coil and a lot more common (and cheaper) that the 5400.

There are different variations of the motors so make sure you check the gap and pole piece on each one.

The main difference between the 5200 and 5400 are the slugs. The 5200 has 3 .75" thick slugs and the 5400 has 4 .75" thick slugs.

Oh alright so I would be looking to get him the 5200 motors. Is that the same as the 3hp or 4hp? And the LMS ultra is the 4hp+ correct?

5400 = 4hplm

5200 = 4hp

3hp is a 3" coil motor

You can also look for the TRF motor, older T.S.N.S. motors and older Cactus motors, they are very similar tot he TC built 4hp motors.

I'll just add, another difference between the two motors is the top plate height. The top plate is much taller on the 5200, as it includes the threaded area. That is all one piece of steel carrying flux. The 5400 appears to have the same height top plate but it is actually a short top plate with a threaded aluminum ring bolted on. The aluminum ring does not carry flux but it does help stabilize it, and it wicks heat away from the coil. Assuming the use of identical coils, it basically boils down to whether or not you're looking to create the most motor force for getting as loud as possible (5200), or better linearity regarding frequency response (5400). I don't believe the 5200 has shorting rings in it, either. The 5400 has one beneath the top plate along with the aluminum ring on top. This would correlate with a higher inductance and THD with the 5200 when compared to the 5400.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ciaonzo your just the man I was waiting to hear from, let me know if you come across any 5200 motors your willing to part with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.