1000 watts and a 120 alternator adding a Kinetik

Participant count
  • Participant list

cchheett
10+ year member

Oregon
I am having issues with my alternator and my whole system. Here is what I use.

My alternator is 120 amps

Im using a 1000 rms amp for my subs. 2x12's using a "total" 1ohm load

speakers just stock.

My alternator is dieing, so I need to get a new one. I am hoping that my problems were from my battery. I think my alternator died because my system just used to much on the battery. dim lights etc. I'm hoping that 120 amp alternator "new" will be ok if I buy a Kinetik battery. I just cant imagine I need a 200 amp alternator etc. But I don't have a lot of information about high current battery's.

For only using 1000 watts should the kinetik battery be fine?

Will the 120 amp alternator be sufficient?

I'm just hoping that I dont need to spend 300 bucks for a HO alternator and also needing to buy a $240 battery. Im thinking of buying this battery http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7343_Kinetik-HC2000-KHC2000.html Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the response. So is it very possible that just getting a kinetik battery Would fix the problem?
yes... i would... i've ran 2000w on complete stock system (alt140) single batt and everything for a couple years now and alt was about 8 1/2 yrs old and still wasn't bad when i replaced it....

It all depends on vehicle no one can tell you how many watts you can run unless they have the same car but yes that alt and battery combo should hold it

It depends on the charge level the batteries stay at. If your batteries stay around 12.3 volts resting this will tax your alternator making it get hot and possibly damaging your battery/batteries. Nothing on an alternator fully charges a battery and the lower the battery gets the more of a load it presents to an alternator. Batteries can "work" when they are mostly depleted but it will GREATLY reduce their lifespan and add a lot of heat to your alternator if the charge levels are not watched. An alternator is really not so much of a "recharging device" as much as it is a "stop from getting drained so far device".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.