12' Sub ideas...which is the best?

SkeeLow1978
10+ year member

Chicago
I am a old skool car audio enthusiast who recently got the bug again due to the car I purchased. I bought a car from my friend whom I put a system in years ago and now it came full circle back to me.

I currently have 4 VERY old (10 years plus) 12'' Orion XTR's in a box that goes thru my rear arm rest (1998 GTP) (pics to follow). I like the box because it is a SPL monster, however the subs are old and only 500w peak so it is time to upgrade.

I am going to stay with the same box idea, I just want to stick with 2 12's instead of 4. I want to stay around $800-$1000 total for both subs and I plan on buying any amp that will power whatever I buy. It will be a sealed enclosure and due to the design I have the option to make the box pretty much any size.

The box will be similar to this design however the port is much bigger and throws the pressure thru the arm rest right into the cabin...(my current set is the same just 4 subs)

bpass3cham.gif

So with that being said, what would you guys recommend. Please give me detailed info instead of just saying "these slam" or "these are awesome"...

Thanks for helping and look in the future to my rebuild pic and videos!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

From your comments such as "spl monster" i imagine you are looking for something pretty loud.

The first few that come to mind are:

AQ HDC's (handle power well, get loud, enjoy tuning in the upper 30's)

DD 2500's (get loud, very underrated, very musical)

For sealed boxes however i start thinking of the RE lines and DC Level 3's. The Level 3's are rated for 600rms but have been seen to handle more. Considered an SQL woofer.

The RE lines tend to have alot of linear movement thus moving more air and being louder. They also sound very accurate.

*The forum boners that would also apply are Fi Q's, Sundown's, Image Dynamics IDMax's.*

2 DC level 5's These are awesome subs and will take a shitton of power. They are great subs for the money and are obnoxiously loud and sound great.

2 DD 9512gs It's DD. What else needs to be said? RMS at 1500 but can take way more. Efficient drivers.

2 RE MT 12's I love RE audio so I would suggest the MT's. I have a pair and they are filthy. RMS is 2k+

Sorry if that's the "These slam" kind of info that you don't want, but these are three great options that you can inquire further on if you want.

2 DC level 5's These are awesome subs and will take a shitton of power. They are great subs for the money and are obnoxiously loud and sound great.2 DD 9512gs It's DD. What else needs to be said? RMS at 1500 but can take way more. Efficient drivers.

2 RE MT 12's I love RE audio so I would suggest the MT's. I have a pair and they are filthy. RMS is 2k+

Sorry if that's the "These slam" kind of info that you don't want, but these are three great options that you can inquire further on if you want.
I agree with these, though electrical comes into play in all accounts. Not to dissuade anyone, just making sure that it is taken into account for the budget.

2500's can get pretty filthy too while on ~1500rms and "stock" electrical. I would guess low to mid 40's?

2 DC level 5's These are awesome subs and will take a shitton of power. They are great subs for the money and are obnoxiously loud and sound great.2 DD 9512gs It's DD. What else needs to be said? RMS at 1500 but can take way more. Efficient drivers.

No I appreciate what you wrote...

MAN you guys are fast to reply on here THANKS....I'll be doing my own research for the next month with all these models/brands LOL

So far from what I seen I like the DC's.

So are you guys thinking all these subs mentioned above are better than JL12w7's??

No I appreciate what you wrote...

MAN you guys are fast to reply on here THANKS....I'll be doing my own research for the next month with all these models/brands LOL

So far from what I seen I like the DC's.

So are you guys thinking all these subs mentioned above are better than JL12w7's??
Lengths ahead.

The W7 is a capable woofer by all means. Good excursion and plays clean. Though i would not call it obnoxious by any means. DC Lvl 5's, Fi BTL, HDC's, DD3500's and up are obnoxious ha.

I would put the W7 on par with a DC Level 3.

RE's could be fun as they can get very loud while staying very clear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.