1998 Toyota Camry Receiver Works Intermittently

Participant count
  • Participant list
Very frequently, my stock receiver will not turn on, as if there is no power source. To remedy this, I simply disconnect, and reconnect, the negative lead on the battery and it begins working again. This used to solve the problem for a month or so. However, the frequency with which I need to remedy the problem has increased and I have been doing this battery trick almost everyday.

I removed the receiver and made sure that all the connections are secure, and they are.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before and does anyone have a permanent solution?

Thanks!

Well, it's a 15 year old piece of electronics that you use every day. Do you still have your VCR from 1998?

I'd say look for a used one at a bone yard, but likely you'll have problems there and overpay. Camry is an easy head unit pop... wiring harness will run you 20-25$ and it'll fit a double DIN size.

I have never heard of that particular problem though. To test you could figure out which wires are the power, ground, and remote turn on going into the head unit and probe each when your problem happens, then you can at least rule out that it isn't simply the unit not getting power for some reason...

The only thing I could think to test would be if you have a loose fuse or a partially blown fuse, or a very tarnished connection somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.