2.2uf capacitor for tweets running off HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

butterMilk
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BC
I have HAT imagine tweeters that I would like to run off my HU. I have been told that I need a 2.2uf cap in order to do so. Do I just solder it inline to the positive wire running to tweeter, close to the tweeter?

Is this a good one? Auricap 2.2uF 400V Capacitor 027-674

The better ones only come 2.0uf and 3.0uf

The headunit will be avhp8400bh. It has built in crossovers but not the 5000-6000 that I need.

Did u try partsexpress.com? That's where I got my caps

that is what he linked.

note that 2.2uF at 8ohms is 9000Hz

2.2uF at 4 ohms is 18000Hz.

i think you should verify the impedance of the tweeter, then buy a cap that gives you a 5k-6kHz crossover point

even better would be to buy a 12dB/oct passive crossover. PE sells them for 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

that is what he linked.
note that 2.2uF at 8ohms is 9000Hz

2.2uF at 4 ohms is 18000Hz.

i think you should verify the impedance of the tweeter, then buy a cap that gives you a 5k-6kHz crossover point

even better would be to buy a 12dB/oct passive crossover. PE sells them for 4 ohm and 8 ohm.
2.2 uF is what Hybrid Audio recommends, which would imply that the tweeters are 12 ohms at the 6K crossover point. I might verify that someday soon...

Would I be able to just take a DMM to the wires on the tweeter, to find out the ohm rating?
No. The DC resistance won't be the same as the tweeter's impedance at the crossover frequency. Need an AC voltmeter and oscillator for that, which I have. HAT says 2.2 uF is correct, and the link you gave is to good quality ones.

yes, a DMM measuring DCR will give you an idea what the impedance is. DCR is slightly less than nominal impedance. should be sufficient to determine if it's 4 ohm, 6 ohm, or 8 ohm.

given the ability for the imagine woofers to play up quite well, a high crossover point can work - if the speakers are on-axis.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.