2 8's vs. 10 vs. 12

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Arkansas
I am in search for some new subs and still trying to find out what fits me because I do not have any way to listen before I buy. I currently have 2 10's and they seem to be a bit overkill, so I am looking to get a little less bass. Most of my music is country/soft rock/alternative, and this will go into a 97 4runner. I was thinking about running a single 10 as a step down, but also have been considering a single 12 or a pair of 8's. What are the pros and cons of each setup, and which would be recommended as a step down for 2 10's? Thanks.

I think for my listening habits I do not need a sub that goes real low, which is why I think the 2 10's may be overkill. The 8's should still be tight and punchy, just not real low, correct?

I would love to have the IDQ, but I really dont want to shell out 300 for that setup. I would like to stay under 200, so I am exploring other possibilities. Also, if I run a single sub I need a 2 ohm, not 4, so your IDQ wont work for me. Any opinions here? Thanks.

yeah no 8 in the world can get low.
I hope thats sarcasm:veryhapp:
2 8's can be great..can get low, fairly loud and be punchy too.. Of course, not all subs are created equal, depends what models here.

Step down from 2 10's would be 1 12:)

I was looking at running 2 Kicker CVR 8's, but it would cost the same as running a single CVR 12. Which setup would be best? What are some good 8 inch subs on about a $125 dollar budget? Thanks.

Too much bass is a good thing. Its easy to adjust it down. Have you tried simply turning your gains down? This would give you less bass, and less distortion. A pair of larger speakers working to half their potential will sound better and last longer than one smaller speaker working to its full potential (generally speaking). So unless you need the space back, I say keep them. If adjusting the gains down doesn't give you quite the effect you are looking for, buy an EQ with decent subwoofer adjustments.

If you dont like the 'tone' of your sub system, that can be EQ'd. And, that tone is more likely a function of your enclosure size/type/alignment than it is the cone diameter of the subs you are using.

Good tips, I will consider this. I will admit, my gains havent been set. I would like to save some space, and I can turn it all the way down, and when particular songs come on the whole vehilce still shakes. It is either all or nothing it seems, I have to constantly adjust for each song to get it to sound right. It could be a gain issue. Problem is, I dont know how to set gains. There is a spot that says left gain and one for right gain. I got a MM. However, the hole is just that, a hole, there is no knob or screw to adjust it with. I was gonna see what it was putting out, but when I got the MM out, my amp quit. I got power at the amp, the amp just isnt receiving it. I am going to have a friend go through it hopefully this week, maybe he can help with that gains. The subs are great for rap and stuff with heavy bass, just not the stuff I listen to (country, alternative, rock). After doing my homework, I agree it may be a setting not the subs. I would still like suggestions just so I know if there is or is not a better setup for me, and I will see how much I can do with the settings. Thank you all very much, any more input on the 8's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ARK_SWAMP_RIDER

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
ARK_SWAMP_RIDER
Arkansas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date