2 Way Focal Utopias Active Adding a midrange to a 2 way component set

Participant count
  • Participant list

estigge

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i have a set of Focal Utopia 2 way component set pushed by an Audisson VOCE and a Bitone. I would like to add another amp and move it from an active component set to an Active 3 way. The Utopia set is for 2 ways can I just add a Utopia midrage speaker to it without interrupting anything?

So i have a set of Focal Utopia 2 way component set pushed by an Audisson VOCE and a Bitone. I would like to add another amp and move it from an active component set to an Active 3 way. The Utopia set is for 2 ways can I just add a Utopia midrage speaker to it without interrupting anything?
so you're using an audison voce 5.1K? Add your second amp, program the bit.one to utilize channels 5/6 for the extra 2 channels.

so you're using an audison voce 5.1K? Add your second amp, program the bit.one to utilize channels 5/6 for the extra 2 channels.
Yes voce 5.1. Also have a 12W6 that it’s powering. It’s all Ben tuned with the JL MAX Tune devise

I’m just worried since the Focals are just set for 2 way components adding a TRU technology amp to that 3rd speaker in the front will mess up since the component set is just for a 2 way

Yes voce 5.1. Also have a 12W6 that it’s powering. It’s all Ben tuned with the JL MAX Tune devise

I’m just worried since the Focals are just set for 2 way components adding a TRU technology amp to that 3rd speaker in the front will mess up since the component set is just for a 2 way

It's a long shot, but I'm looking to upgrade to the newest version of my amp and I'm looking to sell my current one. It's an audison APF8.9 Bit and has a built in DSP. Currently running an active 3-way on it with channels 5+6 and 7+8 bridged for the midbass. If you are interested, let me know.

Now to answer your question, yes, you can add a midrange to your components and it will work fine. I would set your crossover points as follows as a starting point depending on the midrange you choose:

Midbass 80-500hz
Midrange 500hz-3800hz
Tweeter 3800hz and up.

Matt

It's a long shot, but I'm looking to upgrade to the newest version of my amp and I'm looking to sell my current one. It's an audison APF8.9 Bit and has a built in DSP. Currently running an active 3-way on it with channels 5+6 and 7+8 bridged for the midbass. If you are interested, let me know.

Now to answer your question, yes, you can add a midrange to your components and it will work fine. I would set your crossover points as follows as a starting point depending on the midrange you choose:

Midbass 80-500hz
Midrange 500hz-3800hz
Tweeter 3800hz and up.

Matt

Nah I found a a tru technology 4 channel I want and will have that pushing to midrange and tweeter and have Midbass and Sub pushed from the VOCE.

I’n a 4 runner so can cut the sail panels for the tweeter and put midrange in dash.
My current set up sounds great but everywhere I look it seems like to finish the project I need that Seperate Midrange and another amp. Just going to cost another 4K. Think it’s worth it? Think I was get that much iof an upgrade.

Eric

thanks for the advise.

Nah I found a a tru technology 4 channel I want and will have that pushing to midrange and tweeter and have Midbass and Sub pushed from the VOCE.

I’n a 4 runner so can cut the sail panels for the tweeter and put midrange in dash.
My current set up sounds great but everywhere I look it seems like to finish the project I need that Seperate Midrange and another amp. Just going to cost another 4K. Think it’s worth it? Think I was get that much iof an upgrade.

Eric

thanks for the advise.

Should be fine. Can't really say if it's worth money since it's subjective and depends on your tuning skills.

Should be fine. Can't really say if it's worth money since it's subjective and depends on your tuning skills.

My buddy is certified with the JL MAX Tune devise. Things pretty wild. It’s not me that is tuning. I’m just an audiophile for both home an car audio.
Got the bug right now if you know what I mean

Eric

thanks for the advise.

Worth it? That depends on your thoughts. When I upgraded from 2 way to 3 way I was very happy, but when I did that I made pods and moved speaker locations as well.

A well installed, tuned, and amplified 2 way will sound almost as good as a 3 way. The main difference is stage height and imaging, and that may not matter to you. I can tell you for me I won't be upgrading speakers again. I'm only considering changing amps to get better software compatibility for tuning so I dont have to spend $400 to pay a shop with bit-tune every time I want to change my frequency response curve. Currently it's a bit difficult to properly EQ individual channels.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...