2250 watts to a JBL GTi

danpenksa
10+ year member

call me crazy, that's fine...

but if any of you have actual experience with the GTi's I'd like your input...I ran two GTI 15's with 900 a piece to them and loved it...

because of space issues, i will now run a single 12, but am going to throw 2250 watts RMS at it...REAL RMS, not some junk amp that juices up their stats...

if you really know this amp, you know that they are bomb proof...Andy from JBL said NO AMP IN JBL's LINE WAS ABLE TO BLOW THESE SUBS (they have a 10,000 watt amp)...and the sub was also plugged into the wall and never blew...

just wondering if anyone around here has thrown some serious wattage to one of these bad boys and what your opinion is.

thanks!

dan

Seeing how it's rated at 600, I'll admit JBL underrates their subs. I have subs that are rated at 200, and can easily take 600 ALL DAYYY. But, I don't think it will be hardy enough to withstand 2250 watts for more than a song or two. The 'max' is 3K... but you can try it?

max is 4000, cuz its a 12...my whole theory is based on what i have heard from the engineers at jbl saying they threw 10k at it and COULDNT blow it, and to be able to plug it into a wall without failure--i dont i could count on one hand the number of subs that could pass that test...

What's the coil size on the GTi? Either way, no it wont handle a true 10k watts, not for very long anyway. Even the SPL brutes wouldn't like that much power for very long. Certainly not for 'daily use'. I doubt your sub will even like 2250 watts regularly. If the motor was capable of dissipating that much, its unlikely JBL would rate them at a mere 600 watts. This is me talking theory though, I dont think Ive heard of anyone pushing one to its limits to really see.

max is 4000, cuz its a 12...my whole theory is based on what i have heard from the engineers at jbl saying they threw 10k at it and COULDNT blow it, and to be able to plug it into a wall without failure--i dont i could count on one hand the number of subs that could pass that test...
so because its a 12 it can take 4000

i highly doubt anyone has ever put 10k on one

wall socketed without blowing

maybe if they forgot to plug it in

i'm was just correcting his quote of 3000...it doesn't matter anyhow, max ratings mean nothing--everyone knows that...

i knew i was going to take some hazing on this, that's why i only asked for people who had done this with this sub...i've was VERY big into car audio since late 2001 and it was a well known fact on the old carsound.com boards that this wall test was indeed done...

i understand the skepticism, but i'm really looking for someone who has done this--i KNOW i recall people throwing insane power to them (3000k to a 15 for daily use) i would just like to get back in touch with one of those guys/gals who have.

this sub is not very well known but is an absolute monster...those who know this sub know what i mean

dan

i know it won't stop the naysayers, but i just found an old PM from a guy I used to talk with the ran a JBL 2200 to a single 15 GTI... i know for certain 1500 wont blow it with heavy daily use...im just a LITTLE hesitant about getting over 2k

dan

haha...im likely going to--that's the scary part!

i'll keep you posted--if it blows, you can all laugh at me in unison...

still looking for anyone who's familiar with these--please respond!

dp

I was running 2400w rms on a pair of W10gti subs for almost a year and 1/2

they will handle about 50% over the rated RMS continuous with a Bass CD

and they take 2x their rated RMS with music

and NO a Wgti sub will NOT handle 10,000 watts....I was able to fill the car

with smoke 2x with these subs on 2400w rms and bass mechanic..........

they will blow if over powered for to long

My friend runs 2 12 gtis, and we are able to get the coils to heat up pretty well with the bpx 2200.1, which is a highly underrated amp. With that said, you would be crazy to run 2kw to that sub, it wouldnt last long.. I wouldnt run more than 1000 or so to it daily.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.