37-42" LCD flat panel TV?

M@nJo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
bay area
I'm shopping around for either a 37, 40 or 42" flat screen TV for the living room. I don't have blu-ray or HD nor do I plan on it anytime soon. I just want to upgrade my bulky 32" box that's faded green. I'm using it mainly to watch DVD movies/TV shows while smoking hookah when I have company over. Sometimes I'll play video games but rarely.

Where do you recommend I buy at? Will I benefit much from 1080p opposed to 720p? I am working with a $700 MAX budget here. I prefer to shop local for warranty reasons but I don't mind buying online as they have a legit return/warranty program going. So far I like the Sharp 40" 1080p at Costco for $700+tax.

i really dont know the differences between LCD v. plasma. what sites or stores are those prices your getting from?

i really dont know the differences between LCD v. plasma. what sites or stores are those prices your getting from?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775039000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=Flat+Panel

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05775509000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=Flat+Panel

I find plasmas to have better color and to display non-HD signals with better clarity then similarly priced LCD's.

Costco also carries a Panasonic 42" 720p for $600. My brother was convincing me to pick that up since I'm not using HD or blu-ray. Thoughts?

The costco location I went to doesn't carry Vizio. But the Walmart down the street does. I'm more interested in purchasing at Costco because they have an awesome return policy. Any quality differences between Panasonic and Vizio?

If you want quality at all, don't buy Vizio or any of the other cheaper brands. Personally I reccomend the Samsung 40" 630, model number is LN40B630. if you're paying attention, you can pick one up for 799$ on a good sale date. It's 1080p, 120hz, and it has a huge contrast ratio compared to any of the other 40's on the market. If it's still too expensive go with the 40" 530 or 550 by Samsung. I sell these *****es and trust me, after standing around watching every single one every day, I know which have the pros and cons.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.