About to pull the trigger... Almost.

johndoe1234
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Mesa, AZ
I've narrowed my choices down to two options. I'm torn between running a single 18 (Fi Q) or two 15s (SQ HDS215). I have about 1200 rms to play with and virtually unlimited space for an enclosure.

They'll be in an 06 avalanche, midgate removed and box built into the bed. This will be a daily set up. I listen to really everything but it's primarily country. But the double bass of rock/metal and the lows for rap are important. Any opinions? Plus if anyone is up for it, I'm willing to pay for an enclosure design?

Box design is wayy over my head. I can build one but I need direction. But I want the box to be the size of the opening which is 49.5x19.5. I don't mind it taking up bed space but I wanted to limit it to ~25" deep if possible. I still use it as a truck. 4th order boxes can take up quite a bit of room?

Box design is wayy over my head. I can build one but I need direction. But I want the box to be the size of the opening which is 49.5x19.5. I don't mind it taking up bed space but I wanted to limit it to ~25" deep if possible. I still use it as a truck. 4th order boxes can take up quite a bit of room?
If you do a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio then they can be smaller Say for instance 3^3 sealed and 6^3 ported at 45 hertz

Yeah see I'm lost. So you're saying the sealed part of the box is is 3 cuft and the other part is 6 cuft? I was thinking sub/port forward with a rectangular port. But of course I know that the cab of the vehice can change how it sounds. How would a 4th order work with a single sub if I were to go with the 18? I've only seen dual set ups. I've been searching for the last few weeks on possible ways to set it up and can't find too many examples with the avalanche

Maybe a beast 15 or a pair of 12s might be a better fit The sealed section of a 4th takes care of the low end while the ported does the higher sub frequencies Some times a ported box will either give you really good lows but not so good around 60-80 hertz. And depending on tuning. It may sound better at those frequencies. But not the lows

I know this is off topic, but I just got off work. The radio shack down the street got robbed at gun point at 9:19... which is around the time that this thread started..

Well I guess good timing? Haha but while bored at work I've been looking at the 4th ororder designs and theye actually looking like something that would work for me. Now the design of them... Anyone on here good with them? I'll probably go for a single Fi Q 15. Unless there are any suggestions for another sub in that price range/power handling? I'm open to really anything but I've always heard good things about the Q

18 inch hdc3, can get punchy and low even when tuned pretty high. The FI Qs sound too smooth like an SQ driver, not as punchy and hard hitting as I would of liked it on metal, it does have accurate reproduction though, just not my cup of tea. Even an SA 18 or american bass XFL 18 or FI SSD 18 would be better for your purposes.

Thank you! I'll look into those. Anything wilol be better than the shallow mb quarts I've had the last few years. They'll take a beating and served their purpose well in my single cab ranger but it's definitely time for an upgrade now that space permits

Do a pair of 15's ported. More cone area, since you don't have a ton of power. No reason you need to do a 4th in that small of a space. And actually, if you only have 19.5" for height you won't fit an 18 on the inside (which a 4th requires) without some extra work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.