Adventures of sound isolation, CLD, CCF and MLV

Participant count
  • Participant list

mgiara
10+ year member

Hey everyone

I just spent about 5 hours attempting to treat my doors and have some interesting take-aways

I'm working with a 2013 Altima, stock outside of an L7 15" powered by a zx1000.1 supported by a Kinetik HC2400

I've only done a bit of CLD treatment on the trunklid, and decided it was time to move to the doors.

Tonight, I installed about 9 sq ft of Fatmat on the driver's side front door: around 6 sqft on the outer skin and 3 on the inner.

Removing the door trim, weather seal and speaker, prepping the surface and applying the CLD all went quite easy.

After researching quite a bit, I decided to use a section of a mattress bag attached to the outer door skin with Red double sided Tesa tape as a template.

After applying the plastic sheet, I overlayed the stock weather-skin, and traced out holes and slots, then placed the door trim overtop to trace around the outside.

Finally I laid the template on the Luxury Liner Pro I purchased and trimmed away.

Here comes the fun part (as many of us know): fitment.

I spent about 2 and a half hours alone trying to get the door trim to fit overtop the Luxury Liner pro.

I affixed the top edge to the inner door skin with Industrial Velcro and kept going back and forth, enlarging the fastener holes, and trimming wherever I thought necessary to get the door trim to fit back on the door with the luxury liner pro in between.

I ended unsuccessful.

I'm confident the CLD treatment will make a -somewhat- noticeable difference, but the door trim is only attached by about the top half of fasteners. I just couldn't get it back on all the way down.

I'm beginning to think I'm going to remove the luxury liner pro from where it is and replace the weather-seal, but I'd very much like Some isolation in the doors, so I'm thinking I might install pieces of ceiling insulation in a similar fashion as how Keep_Hope_Alive did in his 2014 Accord build.

As for the luxury liner I'm-not-so-pro, I thought I could hang strips of it between the outer and inner door-skins, as there seems to be a Ton of space there that could be utilized for improvement.

Another pointer that crossed my mind is that japanese cars I've worked with in the past seemed to have almost no space anywhere to add things, where American cars seem to be open to add aftermarket widgets wherever one pleases.

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation.

I had my own adventure trying to get mlv in the doors and have it fit. Its one HUGE hastle and I ended pretty..iffy. i say as long as your door is completely (95%) sealed and then deadened. I wouldn't worry about the mlv. It acts as a barrier to lower road noise, which is nice but not Necessary. It also helps as another barrier to stop any front/back wave interference, though you shouldn't have any if your doors are sealed right. I got my biggest sound quality difference from sound deadener and sealed my doors. The mlv is just a noise barrier.

You'll notice that I didn't attempt to apply MLV over top the entire door skin but instead just at the openings. This allowed for proper fitment of the door panel. In fact, I've never attempted to 100% coverage over a door with MLV. I have covered a door completely with CCF, which doesn't seem to conflict with panel fitment

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Some cars have rigid styrofoam glued to the plastic door panel that are intended to meet up with the window when its lowered. Allowing for some additional support of the window when you close the door. I've had to remove that foam when covering up the factory openings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.