All I want is a free custom stereo system...

could get the same deck I have, get a 2.5mm converter to 3.5mm for headphone, plug in the male-to-male cord to the converter and ipod, crank it up, and be done.

That's what I do. Works fccking great.

If you really don't want to buy a new HU. You will have to buy a 3.5mm (minijack) to stereo RCA cable as well as RCA splitters. This will go from your ipod to a four-channel amplifier. You'll have to reroute your speaker wires straight to your aftermarket amp though. It will work, you might have to find a good line driver to boost the signal though.
Hmm... I see. Well that would work. I suppose I could use a multimeter to find out which pins on that radio connector correspond to the actual speaker wires. I assume its those 8 pins i mentioned in my first post (RF+, RF-, LF+, LF-, RR+, RR-, LR+, LR-) but maybe there are more used for the tweeters. That could save me some wiring, depending on where I put the amp...

I already have a 3.5mm to white and red splitter that I was using to connect my laptop to my TV. I kinda thought it would work without a line driver as long as I turned it loud enough that the noise was negligible... It worked fine to play my ipods audio through the TV's speakers, but I dunno, amps aren't TV's...

could get the same deck I have, get a 2.5mm converter to 3.5mm for headphone, plug in the male-to-male cord to the converter and ipod, crank it up, and be done.
That's what I do. Works fccking great.
Just googled it. Looks pretty sweet. Its a bit more than I planned on spending, but it appears to have a super slick iPod interface if you buy the adapter, you can control the ipod right from the head unit, just like that Alpine one.

If im going to actually buy a head unit, its going to have to have this feature. Otherwise, it's not going to do me any more good than just a plain old amp and some wires, it seems...

Ok, so this is the cheapest amp on crutchfield.com

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=120&i=023THA275&search=car+amplifier&tp=115

It appears that I could use that 3.5mm to red/white splitter, and then just hook up the speakers to the appropriate left/right connections. I don't really care about adjusting the thing front/back in my car anyways, so thats fine.

From what I understand, remote is the line that turns the amp on or off, right? What kind of signal does that take? Is is just a 12v positive vs. nothing?

alright, another probably stupid question:

2 channel amp = left and right.

all these low-pass high-pass things have me thinking that I can't just send the same signal to the tweeters as to the other speakers, that i might want to send just the high-pitched stuff to the tweeters. How retarded am I?

Realistically, you would want a 4-channel amp. And the remote does need a 12v source. I would run it to an acc wire or 12v and put it on a switch, so you could control when you wanted it on.

Honestly though, you are really going out of your way for something that'll take 15 minutes, changing out the head unit. Nonetheless, this will be interesting to watch.

Your mad skillz ended the second you opened up the stock headunit.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Maybe if you were an electrical engineer you would know what your doing, but computer science seems to not be going to well for you in this situation. Quit being a cheapass and actually do it the right way. Just buy a **** headunit and quit being ghetto.

So you actually are willing to buy an amp, wires, rca jack to 3.5 mm adapter and ghetto rig all that just so you dont have to get a deck?

Um ok. Why wouldnt you just buy an ipod adapter for your factory radio and save yourself the hassle? I know you are cheap and all but it would be worth it I promise you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.