AMP BLEW- Why, and what are my options?

15nissen
10+ year member

Wealth of Knowledge
Chicago
Bought an amp of this forum, arrived via ups on 6/10. It was packed well and as described. I installed it the same day to existing set up. Rockford 4 gauge wire to an Audioque sd2.5 @ 2 ohm. It worked flawlessly and my friend was more then satisfied.

On 6/14 my buddy calls me and says that the amp won't work and stinks in his car. Great, I try to help out a friend and this happens....

Here is what is burned. Is it worth having it fixed? Where, how etc.

CIMG3330.jpg

CIMG3338.jpg

CIMG3339.jpg

CIMG3340.jpg

CIMG3341.jpg

I have not contacted seller, since it worked when I got it. Still ***** for all parties involved.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The silicone on the power supply transformer is there so those two small wires that jump off don't rub a hole in their insulation - that is not a problem with the amp.

Probably not an expensive fix... as for the seller -- as long as it worked when you got it he fulfilled his end of the deal unless he expressly offered a warranty. There is no way of telling if an amp will fail days or even hours after someone gets it... as a seller of used goods all you can do is test it and make sure it works when it leaves your hands.

Probably not an expensive fix... as for the seller -- as long as it worked when you got it he fulfilled his end of the deal unless he expressly offered a warranty. There is no way of telling if an amp will fail days or even hours after someone gets it... as a seller of used goods all you can do is test it and make sure it works when it leaves your hands.
I agree with you. Just ***** that I go out of my way to help a friend out and this happens. Hypothetically if that mosfet is the only part that needs to be replaced, what would it cost to get back into working order?

i installed a 4 channel amp for a friend. fortunately it was under warranty, but it got fried twice. the first time i thought it was just him being an idiot. but then i found out that his sony HU defaulted to "subwoofer output" out of the preamp. So I changed that, also i remounted the ground. So it could have been that too. But it's been fine since. For some reason wherever he got the amp let him keep it? fine with me, cause i got a free functional 2 channel out of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

I bet he did after you left because he wanted for bass...
Again, I set up the equipment. He has no clue how things work. It was plenty loud for his taste and he didn't drive around full tilt / sub control max'd.

Its a piece of electronics, **** breaks.

Where can I get it fixed?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.