Amp choice for a JL 8W7 ??

Pretty sure the 08 models are 150-500rms and 1000 max at 3ohms. They'll sound good, mostly SQ subs with a good punch. You don't want to overpower them because they can be sensitive. If you can get your hands on a good priced jl audio 500/1 amp, I'd roll with that, because they have an even displacement of power between 1.5 - 4 ohms. But 600 rms shouldn't be bad.

Your subs not junk, but JL Audio's don't reproduce bass that well. They're really muffled and those 8 w7's rumble more than punch. Anyways, that amp would be fine. I've ran 1350 RMS to them for about hour and had no problems.

Being that the W7 is rated at 3 ohms, how would I wire the PDX-1.600?

Can it be done properly? Or should I just go with a JL 500/1?

I like the PDX for its light weight and small size but I don;t want to ruin the subwoofer.

I am definitely going for SQ and was going between 2 - 8W3v3 in a ported enclosure versus 1 - 8W7 in a sealed enclosure.

Is the 8W7 a better choice for SQ with the PDX amp or maybe even the 500/1?

And again, I am going for nice, clean, punchy bass but can still hit decently hard when needed.

Thanks for all the input guys, any more help on this topic will be much appreciated

Your subs not junk, but JL Audio's don't reproduce bass that well. They're really muffled and those 8 w7's rumble more than punch. Anyways, that amp would be fine. I've ran 1350 RMS to them for about hour and had no problems.
WTF??

Anyway, you need to stick with JL's hybrid amps-either the slash 500/1 series or the HD 750/1 amps. They put out the same power to any load between 1.5 to 4 ohms. A little pricey but not much difference from Alpine's PDX series.

8W7's are by no means made to rumble. However, they do sound impressive for the size and they reproduce bass notes quite accurately. The best sound I have ever heard from them is when they are in JL's HO Ported box with the three metal bars on the front. I have heard them at a local shop personally run off of JL's TMA 250.1 amp and it sounds kick a**. This local shop sells the sub/amp package for like $350-$400 if I remember right.

FOREMEN

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

is this from your experience or someone eles's with them?

if so, then you or who ever have no business in the car audio world.

iam a big dd fan but i do own a 10w7 and i know how do design and install equipment correctly. iam sending the 10w7 1.2k dailly with out any problems and it is not muffled, dosent "rumble" and reproduces bass better than just about any other sub out. and as a bonus, it gets very loud and sounds great doing so.

install is 90% of having a good final product so you must be lacking in that area.

I am planning on powering a JL Audio 8W7 with an Alpine PDX-1.600, What do you guys think?
The Sub is in a .875 ft^3 sealed enclosure built to JL specs and I am going for SQ.

Is the 600W RMS Enough power? or Would I need more power to get everything out of this subwoofer?
shop around for a jl 500/1. you can find them in great shape for between 200 and 300 bucks, that would be a great match for your 8w7. you should be quite happy with the results.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gifis this from your experience or someone eles's with them?

if so, then you or who ever have no business in the car audio world.

iam a big dd fan but i do own a 10w7 and i know how do design and install equipment correctly. iam sending the 10w7 1.2k dailly with out any problems and it is not muffled, dosent "rumble" and reproduces bass better than just about any other sub out. and as a bonus, it gets very loud and sounds great doing so.

install is 90% of having a good final product so you must be lacking in that area.
****, so either way you give me no choice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Since you like Digital Designs put one next to that 10 w7 then come back and tell me the JL Audio is not muffled. They are not a clean sounding sub. Digital Designs eat JL Audio's for a snack. If you can't hear it your ears are damaged.

I've put 8's from Elemental Designs, Infinity and MA Audio next to a JL Audio 8 w7 and you could hear the JL Audio has a muffled sound and defiantly rumbles more or would you rather have me say it rolls off the bass notes more than the others. All where in sealed boxes made to their manufactures specs. I do like the snap ring, the soft surround, and that JL Audio ships their w7's with a backing board, but I don't like them for sound quality.

****, so either way you give me no choice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Since you like Digital Designs put one next to that 10 w7 then come back and tell me the JL Audio is not muffled. They are not a clean sounding sub. Digital Designs eat JL Audio's for a snack. If you can't hear it your ears are damaged.
I've put 8's from Elemental Designs, Infinity and MA Audio next to a JL Audio 8 w7 and you could hear the JL Audio has a muffled sound and defiantly rumbles more or would you rather have me say it rolls off the bass notes more than the others. All where in sealed boxes made to their manufactures specs. I do like the snap ring, the soft surround, and that JL Audio ships their w7's with a backing board, but I don't like them for sound quality.
i have both and have compaired them both side by side. as far as sq goes the jl pwns the dd subs. dd's are not designed for ultimate sq as where the w7's are.(even though imo the w6v2 are better)

sq is diffrent for everyone but if you say that an ma audio sub had better sq than the w7, well like i said before you have no business in the car audio world.

and an answer to your first question, like i said, unlike you i know how to design, build and install very well. my w7 dose not sound muffled and it has a very flat responce. so you my friend must have some damaged ears or just lack the skills to design systems correclty.

now as far as getting loud, the dd pwns the jl's and just about any other subs on the market while still having decient sq.

next time your in the tampa area, i would be glad to give you a demmo of what a properly designed and installed system sounds like.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, i think your losing credibility a couple different ways on this post.

First, W7's are known to reproduce bass quite accurately, and are often used in SQ installs, where accuracy is key.

Second, running almost three times the recommended amount of power to a 300$ 8" subwoofer just doesn't seem smart at all.

Why abuse quality equipment?, you should just send it to me instead, and I'll use it how its meant to be used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.