Amp Cooling Mods (pics)

If your amp is internally bridging the 2 channels then it sounds like you are running them in parallel which results in a ~2.4 ohm load.

BTW to continue beating on a dead horse...try not to mix subs. An angel dies every time someone does it.

Added: Lower impedance means more current which means more heat potentially worsening your problem.... Also I feel the need to state that mixed subs can work....if you put in the time, effort, and have the extraordinary amount of knowledge to pull it off correctly and even then it's more common in Home Theater where environmental variables are easier to anticipate/control, but for 99.9999% of people in car audio it's a bad idea unless you just want to try and get more air moving.

We've been discussing this in my build-planning thread. I have settled on a single good 12" sub (maybe a JL 12W0v3-4) for the good system, in an optimized box I'm building myself. Before learning more, I was thinking of emphasizing different aspects with two different subs, as my build largely focuses on SQ. For now, with this practice system, I'm just playing around and experimenting. I unplugged the 8", just running the 12", and the volume and intensity dropped. When I plugged it back in, it seemed twice as powerful and was more filling (I don't know all the actual terminology yet). If anything, the bass does seem more de-localized with just the 12", but it's still pretty encompassing with both. Even with the more intense combination, the bass is still very smooth and mellow. I'm sure there are aspects I'm overlooking. I've tried several different locations and think I've found the best spots for this temporary combo that will hopefully seem novice by the time I apply the knowledge I'm learning here and elsewhere to better components.

It's funny that you mention 'moving air' because that little 8" actually 'puffs' on my rear view mirror decorations from the back seat, blowing them with each beat.

18mq8la3ielahjpg.jpg

See how the liquid cools the cpu vs how the aluminum fins pick up and are cooled off by the fans

images

So bro...

When I saw the pictures I pretty much facepalmed.

I didn't reply.

I thought about what you are doing and now I am responding (12 hours later after first reading)

This is what I think and please correct me if I am wrong.

You are a young guy (this part I am not sure of because you say you have had the sub for 16 years)

You are just getting into car audio

You are having fun

You enjoy trying new things

You have a lot of free time

You are doing a lot of thinking about new ideas and ways to reproduce sound

You do not have much money to spend on this hobby

Nothing is wrong with any of that.

You seem to have an open mind and enjoy tinkering so keep having fun.

I know that you will most likely end up whee most of us are (2 way front active, powerful substage tuned low)

But if you just jump straight to that what is the fun for you?

As long as you know that you are not going to reinvent the wheel.

I like your budget minded thinking. Just know that when you are serious it is going to take some funds to get there.

BTW - as for this thread, something is wrong with the amp and you are putting a big fat bandaid on it. I am running a cheap Hifonicis sub amp, I have it running 2 ohms at around 1,000 watts. I crank it for my drive to and from work each day about 30 mins each way. It gets just warm to the touch. Your amp is getting hot because it is broken, but for $15 bucks and you are having fun play with it till it craps out.

Keep on keeping on bro!

Is that yellow stuff corrosion on the bottom of the terminal on the amp?
That's lint/dust. I haven't cleaned it thoroughly yet because I just got it out of storage a week ago. I did clean parts of it when I took it apart, but not all the little nooks and crannies.

18mq8la3ielahjpg.jpg

See how the liquid cools the cpu vs how the aluminum fins pick up and are cooled off by the fans

images

That's pretty cool. I've seen water-cooled computers before, but haven't examined them or researched them. I like it.

The reason I have so many spare electronics parts is because I was going to learn how to build computers, but that has been on hold for the better part of a decade.

That's pretty cool. I've seen water-cooled computers before, but haven't examined them or researched them. I like it.
The reason I have so many spare electronics parts is because I was going to learn how to build computers, but that has been on hold for the better part of a decade.
Building a computer is superrrrrr easy.

Jump on youtube and look for the 3 part series from NEWEGG on how to build a pcs. They cover everything super well

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Get one of those PVC white fans. Can't seem to find them or make of them but seen them on youtube. They are a bit noisy from what I read.

If you ever need any help shoot me a PM! I just built a new rig! 2 gtx 1080 strix superclock, and a i7 6700k overclocked

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.