amp cuts out... but only for a sec

Rockguy475
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
houston
sometimes when i turn my volume up it seems as if my amp cuts out but just for a bit. comes right back on when I lower the volume. Im guessing this has something to do with the settings I have on the amp but am not sure.... I dont want to damage my system any help would be appreciated. thanks guys

how did you set your gain? what kind of amp subs and power do you have for it?

my guess is gain is either up to high and/or you amp is pulling to much power and going into low voltage cutoff.

how did you set your gain? what kind of amp subs and power do you have for it?
my guess is gain is either up to high and/or you amp is pulling to much power and going into low voltage cutoff.
amp is a JLHD900/5 and my sub is a JL12W6v2.... everything is in my signature.

Ill check on my gains i have a buddy who knows way more about this then me coming to take a look at it. IF its not the gains and it is the amp pulling too much power...how would i fix that? Thanks for the info

amp is a JLHD900/5 and my sub is a JL12W6v2.... everything is in my signature.
Ill check on my gains i have a buddy who knows way more about this then me coming to take a look at it. IF its not the gains and it is the amp pulling too much power...how would i fix that? Thanks for the info
Get the Big 3 done, and look into a good agm battery to start with.Then take a look at your supply wiring to the amp/amps..possibly made need to upgrade the size/gauge for proper supply needed.But, Does sound like you may be sending that amp to the clipping stage,and it is shutting down on you.

Get the Big 3 done, and look into a good agm battery to start with.Then take a look at your supply wiring to the amp/amps..possibly made need to upgrade the size/gauge for proper supply needed.But, Does sound like you may be sending that amp to the clipping stage,and it is shutting down on you.
What exactly would I be doing wrong if I am clipping the amp? Im pretty sure I am clipping the amp but dont know why.

Bass Boost up too high,loud button on, gains on amp not set conservatively/up too high,Volume up too high to distortion levels.Lots of things that can cause clipping issues.I believe there is a Sticky somewhere on here to (HOW TO SET GAINS)that you may want to research to help you set your gains properly.No one can tell you how to set them properly without being present.Every vehicle/system is different,so Trial and error till you get it set to your system needs

i sale that system all the time, you might be clipping the amp in which try turning your gain down a little. The main problem with that amp is it runs with a constant power supply in the amp (which mean it pretty much always needs to see 13.5v+ to stay on). You fix this bye a second battery or a good cap

Bass Boost up too high,loud button on, gains on amp not set conservatively/up too high,Volume up too high to distortion levels.Lots of things that can cause clipping issues.I believe there is a Sticky somewhere on here to (HOW TO SET GAINS)that you may want to research to help you set your gains properly.No one can tell you how to set them properly without being present.Every vehicle/system is different,so Trial and error till you get it set to your system needs
ok ill try a few things out... my gains might have been set too high. But lets say i lower my gains..... i know i would have to turn my volume up more to get the desired loudness since the gains would now be lower.... would turning my voume up more with lower gains be the same as turning my gains up but haveing a lower volume? hope this question makes since im pretty new to this

i sale that system all the time, you might be clipping the amp in which try turning your gain down a little. The main problem with that amp is it runs with a constant power supply in the amp (which mean it pretty much always needs to see 13.5v+ to stay on). You fix this bye a second battery or a good cap
Iv been thinking about a new battery but wasnt sure If i needed one. My lights never dim even when my music is loud. Is it most likely the gain for my subs that need lowering?

Iv been thinking about a new battery but wasnt sure If i needed one. My lights never dim even when my music is loud. Is it most likely the gain for my subs that need lowering?
your saying that your lights dont even dim?? beacuse for a 2008 malibu they should be, that amp in most suv and truck will make the lights dim a little and they have a bigger stock alternator. Either way the amp might need to be tuned correctly, or if you can meter you amp and see how many volts you getting at the amp. that amp shuts off around 12.3v and that sounds like your problem more then the gain

doing the big 3 tomorrow and possibly adding a 2nd battery.... ill update when i finish. jusy fyi i checked ground and its good

sometimes when i turn my volume up it seems as if my amp cuts out but just for a bit. comes right back on when I lower the volume. Im guessing this has something to do with the settings I have on the amp but am not sure.... I dont want to damage my system any help would be appreciated. thanks guys
Well amps usually shut down on their own by either one of two things:

1) They are overheated and go into protection.

2) They start clipping and go into protection.

Now assuming your amp is in 100% working condition, and your system is installed 100% correct, the above two options are your only culprits IMO. Adjust your gain the correct way, either by using the DD-1 or follow the directions in this thread.

Once you do this, report back to us and let us know if the problem went away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.