Amp goes into power save mode when plugged rca to amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

LongThrow

My Kickers be swaggin'
I'll turn my system on without rca cables plugged in and everything works fine. I plug one of the 2 rca into the amp, sub plays but barely. I plug the other rca I to it and my sub makes a low bass pop like noise before the amp goes into power protection mode.

Any possible cause for this? Rca cables are good. Switched ground spots still nothing. Amp worked fine previously.

10 inch kicker comp 4 ohms 150 watts rms

Dual xdm260 headunit

Sony xm502z amp

I'll turn my system on without rca cables plugged in and everything works fine. I plug one of the 2 rca into the amp, sub plays but barely. I plug the other rca I to it and my sub makes a low bass pop like noise before the amp goes into power protection mode.
Any possible cause for this? Rca cables are good. Switched ground spots still nothing. Amp worked fine previously.

Dual xdm260 headunit

Sony xm502z amp
you don't want to edit that? did you even meter your RCAs to see if they are good?

In every one of my threads there's some smart - *** talking down to me, like some lame. I appreciate the help but this is ridiculous.

These are brand new rca cables. I used 2 different cables.

Amp works with rca cables plugged in and with speakers disconnected. When attempting to connect the neg or pos to speaker outputs the amp goes into protect mode, or vice versa to the rca cables.

In every one of my threads there's some smart - *** talking down to me, like some lame. I appreciate the help but this is ridiculous.

Amp works with rca cables plugged in and with speakers disconnected. When attempting to connect the neg or pos to speaker outputs the amp goes into protect mode, or vice versa to the rca cables.
To rule out the rca's being good or bad, plug an ipod (phone mp3) into the amp directly with a 3.5mm to rca adapter. If it works it's your rca cables or your Hu are bad. If it doesn't work, it's your amp or sub.

I plugged the rca to 3.5mm into my phone and and then into my amp. Power still green, doing good. I play a ong, power still green no problem, however the sound coming from my sub sounds very nasty and distorted, I assume this is expected hooked up like it is. I then try to turn up the volume on my phone and my amp goes to protect mode. Is this still considered a success considering it didn't go I to protect mode when I plugged the rcas in?

I have really good quality sshielded rca cable I use for my home stereo I will try to use tomorrow to si glue that out. I just bought this headunit and installed today. Is it not uncommon for a brand new headunit to make my amp do this?

Dual xdm260 headunit

Sony xm502z amp

so which one is it. i get guys like you in my shop all the time trying to tell me you know what you're talking about yet I'm not the one installing stuff that doesn't work. so maybe you should tone down a little bit, noob. brand new RCA cables don't mean anything to me, did you meter them? probably not b/c there "new". did you meter the speaker? did you try different RCAs or speaker wire? did you try a different speaker?

all of you noobs get on here asking for trouble shooting like there is some magic answer than get an attitude with guys that actually know this stuff. if this stuff was as easy as you noobs try to make it out to be than there would be no need to have professionals. this is not plug and play.

so which one is it. i get guys like you in my shop all the time trying to tell me you know what you're talking about yet I'm not the one installing stuff that doesn't work. so maybe you should tone down a little bit, noob. brand new RCA cables don't mean anything to me, did you meter them? probably not b/c there "new". did you meter the speaker? did you try different RCAs or speaker wire? did you try a different speaker?
all of you noobs get on here asking for trouble shooting like there is some magic answer than get an attitude with guys that actually know this stuff. if this stuff was as easy as you noobs try to make it out to be than there would be no need to have professionals. this is not plug and play.
If you would of read a little further in my post you'd see that when my rcas are plugged in and my speakers arent, and I plug my speakers in it doesn't work, AND VICE VERSA. MEANING WITH MY SPEAKERS WIRES C9NNECTED, AND MY RCAS ARENT, WHEN I CONNECT THE RCAS MY AMP STOPS WORKING. I'm having problems on both ends. Understand? And no I do t have a meter to test with. I'm poor. And young. And on a budget. I'm trying to make **** work with what I got and I never claimed to know more than anyone or know anything for that matter. You seem like your on a major power trip. How far has being an audio professional got you? Your so ******* high and mighty because what? You know more than a teenager about car audio? Lmao.

There's other ways to test things other than a dmm. I tried a different amp, different cable I know works because I used it for my home stereo which just worked. Sub works, because of the diagnostic test the previous posted had me try. I changed speaker wire.

I also never claimed this was easy and there was a magic simple fix.

Oh and just so you know I didnt get an attitude with yo, you got an attitude with me. Replying to my thread with such a sarcastic ***** *** comment. Seems you need to tone it down.

Now can I get some help?

I plugged the rca to 3.5mm into my phone and and then into my amp. Power still green, doing good. I play a ong, power still green no problem, however the sound coming from my sub sounds very nasty and distorted, I assume this is expected hooked up like it is. I then try to turn up the volume on my phone and my amp goes to protect mode. Is this still considered a success considering it didn't go I to protect mode when I plugged the rcas in?
I have really good quality sshielded rca cable I use for my home stereo I will try to use tomorrow to si glue that out. I just bought this headunit and installed today. Is it not uncommon for a brand new headunit to make my amp do this?
You should have a clean signal hooking it up to the phone. I would say the Hu and rca's are good. It's your amp or you have a blown sub. Test the voice coils with a dmm.

I'll be getting a dmm today and hopefully it's not my sub. It's not my amp I tried 2 different amps and still same thing. A bad ground would cause this issue would it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.