Amp Install for a dummy

Participant count
  • Participant list

jrgrtx

Ok all. I'm probably overthinking this but help me out. I bought my son a 2 channel amp with a 10" sub (in a box, ready to hook wires to), to improve his Kenwood stereo in his truck. (16 yr old......go figure).

So, here's my silly question. Kenwood stereo has RCA outputs. Amp has RCA inputs. How do I connect the Kenwood stereo to the Amp? I.E., it's a 2 channel amp. The stereo has RCA plugs for: Left Pos, Left Neg, Right Pos, Right Neg, but the Amp only has Left and Right RCA plugs.

1) Which plugs to I hook the RCA's up to on the stereo?

Speakers. Do I JUST hook the sub up to the amp? Or can I hook the truck speakers up to the amp as well as the sub? I was thinking to leave the front speakers going directly to the stereo, run the rear speakers into the amp and hook the sub up also in the same ports. But how? What wires go where on a 2 channel amp? HELP

Ok all. I'm probably overthinking this but help me out. I bought my son a 2 channel amp with a 10" sub (in a box, ready to hook wires to), to improve his Kenwood stereo in his truck. (16 yr old......go figure).So, here's my silly question. Kenwood stereo has RCA outputs. Amp has RCA inputs. How do I connect the Kenwood stereo to the Amp? I.E., it's a 2 channel amp. The stereo has RCA plugs for: Left Pos, Left Neg, Right Pos, Right Neg, but the Amp only has Left and Right RCA plugs.

1) Which plugs to I hook the RCA's up to on the stereo?

Speakers. Do I JUST hook the sub up to the amp? Or can I hook the truck speakers up to the amp as well as the sub? I was thinking to leave the front speakers going directly to the stereo, run the rear speakers into the amp and hook the sub up also in the same ports. But how? What wires go where on a 2 channel amp? HELP
Each RCA connection is one complete audio channel. If you cut the cable open you'll find two wires, one signal (+), one ground (-). The signal is connected to the ring (and by extension the pin - the protrusion), while the ground is connected to the sleeve (and the part that extends to hold the connector in place).

I've never heard of positive and negative RCA connections. Most likely there are two sets of RCA connections, one for left and right input and another for left and right output (if you wanted to chain the signal to multiple amps or another device). You might be thinking of speaker level inputs, which are usually screw terminals. These use the actual bare speaker wiring carrying an already amplified signal and they do have positive and negative for each channel. You usually use these to connect a head unit (HU) that doesn't have RCA outs by connecting what would normally go to the speakers to the amp, which amplifies it even more.

Ideally you'd connect the RCA outputs on the HU to the inputs on the amp. If it's a two channel amp you should only hook up speakers or a sub to it, not both. If you're running one sub you'll want the amp to be bridgeable to one channel (a lot are). That way you can have one powerful mono output - ideal for a sub. You could run the speakers off the amp, but not with the sub. I would advise against this if they're stock speakers because more than likely they're not meant to handle more power than the original HU provides.

You'll also have to consider power ratings, impedance, and you'll need to properly set the gains on the amp. You'll also need to run all the power wiring safely and securely. It's quite a bit of work if you're doing it for the first time, but we can help along the way. I'd start by listing the models of all the gear here so we at least know what you're working with.

Thanks.

Head unit is a Kenwood: KDC-BT318U

Sub is a: Kicker 10" (that's all I know about it) mounted in a factory kicker box.

Amp is: Dual XPR520

Interesting. I thought you could run the sub and at least the rear speakers off the amp. Stereo sounds like crap with just the head unit. So now he'll just have a crap sounding stereo with a lot of bass???????????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.