Amp Upgrade Help Please

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have been lurking here for a while and have already learned a lot from you guys. I am about to try an install that is a little more complicated than anything else I have tried before and need som advice. I am trying to swap out the factory amp (not a Bose system) in my 2009 Cayman and need some help trying to figure out the new set-up. Current factory system has 9 speakers running on 7 channels (2-4" rear, 2-4" door, 2-7.75" mid bass woofers in door, 2 tweeters in dash, and 1 center in dash). Each speaker has its own direct wire to the amp and the tweeters have resistors on them. The door 4" and tweeter run on one channel. I also already installed a powered sub behind the seat which gives me all the bass I really want.

The factory speakers are pretty good but the amp is way underpowered. I do not plan to run the center speaker so I want to see what the best way is to run the other eight. I have looked at running a 5 channel amp (2 rears on 2 channels, 4" doors and tweets on 2 channels, and door midwoofers on one channel), but am pretty shocked at the price of a 5 channel amp that will allow me full adjustability on the 5th channel for the midwoofers (I think I need HP control and not LP on this channel).

I think my other option is running a 4 channel amp with a passive crossover (run the 4 door speakers and 2 dash tweeters on 2 channels and the 2 rears on the other 2 channels). I would install the crossovers near the amp. From what I can tell, this would be far more friendly on my pocket book since 4 channel amps are much less expensive and I would have more adjustability woith the crossovers.

Now, what am I missing and what is completely wrong with my ideas? Also, any recommendation on amps/crossovers? Im really a middle of the road guy and don't have to have the greatest and best. Thank you for the help; I obviously need it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.