Amp ?

The kicker is prolly a little stronger but the mmats is a better amp quality wise.
Never use bass boost all that does is lessen the life of the sub.

The mmats is much smaller and will run cool off of less power where the kicker is more power hungery.

And I would set that 77-255 low pass to like 80 or just all the way down
Thanks, I listened to it a little on the way to work this morning but was unsure where to set that at, I will turn it all the way down to 77.

If used properly the Bass Boost won't hurt anything, but the key is "if used properly". Though shouldn't need it with most modern head unit's it's builtin to the settings and configurable however you would like it. Not all head units though, but most have at least LPF freq and sub level, which is good for lots of in car adjustment without messing with the amp, some have configurable bass boost, freq + db builtin as well. If used improperly, yes, will cause excessive clipping and ruin the sub, and then when the sub is bad, will likely take the amp with it.

@Reinhardt The frequency control is for the low pass filter and should be set to 80 or so. It will only allow frequencies that are under where it is set to be played. Typically you want the subwoofer to only play from 25ish to 80 or so but varies based on setup, woofers, box, music type, etc.

I would hook-up the kicker and turn off the bass boost and do a comparison. Also set the gain with a DMM and play the same tracks. having bass boost set can and most likely will damage the subwoofer over time, how long depends on how bad its clipping. An easy way to see what's going on is to hook-up the amp, set the gain with a dmm, then turn up the bass boost and see what happens on the DMM. I have had amps go from 40v to 70s by adjusting the bass boost.

Whoever said that MMAT's was underrated because they used smaller fusing needs to do some research.

@Reinhardt The frequency control is for the low pass filter and should be set to 80 or so. It will only allow frequencies that are under where it is set to be played. Typically you want the subwoofer to only play from 25ish to 80 or so but varies based on setup, woofers, box, music type, etc.
I would hook-up the kicker and turn off the bass boost and do a comparison. Also set the gain with a DMM and play the same tracks. having bass boost set can and most likely will damage the subwoofer over time, how long depends on how bad its clipping. An easy way to see what's going on is to hook-up the amp, set the gain with a dmm, then turn up the bass boost and see what happens on the DMM. I have had amps go from 40v to 70s by adjusting the bass boost.

Whoever said that MMAT's was underrated because they used smaller fusing needs to do some research.
I did, both amps are about the same without the bass boost on, but the MMATS actually fits better in my truck so that is the one I am going to keep in there. Thanks for the amp, it works great!!! It drives the IA Death Penalty hard, has my Toyota 4x4 flexing like crazy.

I was told that on the CarAudioForum. Here is exactly what they told me.

"Doubt the MMATS is anywhere near 2000w. Looked at the product page, and the specs call for a 100A fuse, and then they recommend using an 80A fuse. Same way on the lower powered models-60A rating, 50A fuse recommended for a "1000w" amp.

No way they're making rated power.

Kicker recommends a 150A fuse for that 1500.1."

I figured that he didnt know what he was talking about because everyone that I ever talked to talks highly about MMATS amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, both amps are about the same without the bass boost on, but the MMATS actually fits better in my truck so that is the one I am going to keep in there. Thanks for the amp, it works great!!! It drives the IA Death Penalty hard, has my Toyota 4x4 flexing like crazy.
I was told that on the CarAudioForum. Here is exactly what they told me.

"Doubt the MMATS is anywhere near 2000w. Looked at the product page, and the specs call for a 100A fuse, and then they recommend using an 80A fuse. Same way on the lower powered models-60A rating, 50A fuse recommended for a "1000w" amp.

No way they're making rated power.
Wow. If they figure out how to get 2000W out of only 80A in the 12-15VDC range, I want in on that, could put the power companies out of business with that technology!

Kicker recommends a 150A fuse for that 1500.1."
That sounds more like it!

I figured that he didnt know what he was talking about because everyone that I ever talked to talks highly about MMATS amps.
I think that was the old MMATS. I don't know about the new MMATS, seems from what I have seen they still make good stuff, but their power ratings system has changed, they seem to have fallen into the "PEAK POWER" BS.

I did back to back comparison last night without the bass boost on and while close the Kicker is louder and in my opinion does have more output than the MMATS. The only down fall of the Kicker is the size, I have this setup in a 1992 Toyota extra cab 4x4, the MMATS fits better behind the seat than the Kicker, and it has plenty of power for the IA Death Penalty and is plenty loud in that small of a cab. In my opinion the Kicker does well over its rated 1500 watts and the MMATS doesnt do its rated 2100 watts. I know I will get some arguements over this but unless you have both amps to do a back to back comparison like I did your arguement isnt valid.

Only true way to compare and be fair is to clamp both amps... Nothing against kicker but I would have also went with the MM due to size, quality, and just for the sake of saying I don't run kicker lol. I agree with DB MM looks to be using peak power as there new rating system. If that's the case then I would have rethought the MM as I don't believe in misleading advertisement. Old MM any day new MM let us know once u play with it.

Its a good thing then that its an older MMATs and not a new one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Regardless I would take a new MMATs over most kickers any day, with the exception of older kicker amps. The new MMAT's amps are very nice and still super efficient powerhouses with quality far exceeding most other brands. I don't mean to sound like a snob but most don't even know until they run one of the amps. I was the same way until I bought this one. It powered my SA Z 18 with absolutely no issues and my voltage barely dropped even for extended periods at full tilt. The amp never got hot, and never broke a sweat.

Gains, low pass filters, bassboost, eq settings, hu settings, these will all affect output. Do not use any boosts, that is not the answer for more bass, more bass will come from better equipment.

First learn how to set gains using a DMM. Then set LPF to the same frequency or approximate if their slopes are different. Kill all other settings down to 0. Then try both amps side by side. I don't disagree with the fact the kicker may be more powerful.. But you must understand how power works in a car audio setup. The kicker may easily have different settings right now making it seem better.

Gains, low pass filters, bassboost, eq settings, hu settings, these will all affect output. Do not use any boosts, that is not the answer for more bass, more bass will come from better equipment.
First learn how to set gains using a DMM. Then set LPF to the same frequency or approximate if their slopes are different. Kill all other settings down to 0. Then try both amps side by side. I don't disagree with the fact the kicker may be more powerful.. But you must understand how power works in a car audio setup. The kicker may easily have different settings right now making it seem better.
I know how to set gains with a DMM. I used no bass boost and used the same HU set exactly the same. Everything set the same, same HU, same sub, same vehicle, the amp was the only variable.

And yes this IS a older MMATS, not a new one, I bought it from Omega.

I know how to set gains with a DMM. I used no bass boost and used the same HU set exactly the same. Everything set the same, same HU, same sub, same vehicle, the amp was the only variable.
And yes this IS a older MMATS, not a new one, I bought it from Omega.
I guess.....I mean you set the gain to match the HU output and to give your subs a certain output voltage which will hopefully translate into the correct watts you are looking for. Of coarse this all varies with music, but in general if you take any 2 amps, and set the gains to the same output voltage on the same system they should all sound similar in theory. Of coarse feel free to stick with the kicker if it is louder for you, not trying to defend MMATS i've never used an MMATS amp, but the theory is that they should not be much of a difference between the two.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.