Beginner Build

I should write up a little tutorial on exact what I did. Others may find it useful. And it works and works quite well

John Kuthe...
There's a thread over at DIYMA about doing doors. I haven't clicked it lately but a few years ago it was over 30 pages. Just find that and post your pics there, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Yeah, and you can see how easy THAT 30 page stuff was easy and effective for ME to use!

Does TLDR mean anything to anyone around here, Caraudio.com or DYIMA.com? Data becomes meaningless when buried and made hard to use.

John Kuthe...

I decided to play with my spare amp late last night, adding some cooling mods. It's good practice if nothing else. I started a thread in the Amp discussion section with more pics and explanations...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifiers/629415-amp-cooling-mods-pics.html

I've been researching tweeters in more depth and realized what an important element they are, not that I thought they were insignificant before. As it turns out, I may have some decent tweeters already. One of them includes a 1.75" Mid, and placing it in the middle of the dash at the base of the windshield did some interesting things, not that I'm doing anything more than simply experimenting.

I'm making some enclosures for 6.5s with ports tuned to help bring out some low-mid frequencies I realized I'm missing after playing some rock (mostly effecting drums). Again, this is all preliminary experimentation just to get a feel for things.

Budahbuddy, thanks for the considerate offer. When it comes time to buy all the pieces, that's going to be one heck of an intensive search. I see a 'which one should I buy' thread in the not so distant future.

hmm, starting with cooling mods without the actual install is useless imho. you don't know if they will need extra cooling until installed in place and see if they overheat because of environmental conditions. They are made to run pretty hot, and external cooling will do more to add to the noise level than produce better results.

placing random drivers in random positions might fill in your feel of frequency needs, but you will lose stereo imaging.

hmm, starting with cooling mods without the actual install is useless imho. you don't know if they will need extra cooling until installed in place and see if they overheat because of environmental conditions. They are made to run pretty hot, and external cooling will do more to add to the noise level than produce better results.
placing random drivers in random positions might fill in your feel of frequency needs, but you will lose stereo imaging.
yup... there's a major lack of focus on the important aspects of the install and a lot more daydreaming lol. Gotta admit though, we've all been through that stage.

This amp is in fact in use right now. That's how I know it gets too hot to touch, or at least it did before modifying it, so it has in fact previously been installed in-place and examined for heat. Although this is a temporary system, I would prefer to have it continue working by having a functioning amp.

I had a choice last night... go to sleep or learn how to modify an amplifier, even if rudimentary. I chose the latter. This is not the amp I will use in the good system, but it is being used right now. I enjoyed the work quite a bit. It was certainly more interesting than sleeping.

Daydreaming... Research can be equated to daydreaming I suppose. I can sit around staring at my car with glazed over eyes, or I can fiddle with parts between researching important aspects. I chose the latter. In the process of fiddling, I am examining which speakers I have available and exactly what they're capable of doing, cross-referencing some of them for the first time to see exactly what I have to work with when I finally do apply all I am learning here and elsewhere. I am logging what I am discovering so I can apply it later.

The 6.5 enclosures, however, are a direct preparation for the good system, as I am fairly certain there is no controversy that they should go in the outer kick panels. Other than researching, assessing, and fiddling with parts, I do daydream sometimes, applying new information to my thoughts, thinking about configuring layouts, which components to use, building enclosures, prioritizing, etc. Even daydreaming will help to have everything finalized when it is time to drop some cash, at least it will if you are productive with it, thinking being a highly underrated and underutilized human ability.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.