Bi-amp my comps?

Participant count
  • Participant list

stocker08
10+ year member

Drunk
Minnesota
I have a set of the PPI 355cs comps and they have the option to be bi-amped. Right now, I have a 5-channel US Amps amp and I am just running each side off of one channel. My back speakers use the other two channels. My question is, how much better will the speakers sound if I set them up for bi-amp. I realize I can adjust the gain individually for the mids and the tweeters this way, but the crossovers have a tweeter adjustment knob already on the crossover so will this make that much of a difference?

My amp is not bridgable. I tried that and could tell immedietly that something was wrong. Figured since these comps have a bi-amp option on the crossovers, I might as well take advantage of that since I cannot bridge them.

Right now, the speakers are recieving 90 watts continuous. I have two sets of speaker wire running to them, so I could go active if I wanted......but I am not exactly sure how to do all the settings and my deck is a little confusing. Don't want to mess anything up.

I would really like to keep my amp. Prefer not to replace it with two seperate amps or a bridgable 5-channel.

Any input? Should I just continue running my back speakers? Should I bi-amp the front speakers? Look into a new amp?

I think the only benifit to bi amping them would be to have the ability to adjust the gain/level. It wont see any more power.
Too bad you cant bridge the channels.
why wouldnt they see any more power?

if you bi amp them then youll be seeing the 180 watts 90 directly to the tweet and 90 to the mid, that is if i read correctly and the ops amp puts out 90x4

Yes you can bi-amp, but be careful of the gains on the tweeters.

They dont need much power.

One other thing, if your HU can do time alignment that would be the best reason to bi-amp.

Yes you can bi-amp, but be careful of the gains on the tweeters.
They dont need much power.

One other thing, if your HU can do time alignment that would be the best reason to bi-amp.
Yeah. I have the cda-9835 so I do have time alignment. I will have to do some research on how to set that.......have not messed with it at all.

Since you have that HU and amp, you can get rid of that passive network all together.

You ca take baby steps and bi-amp first.

Since you have that HU and amp, you can get rid of that passive network all together.
You ca take baby steps and bi-amp first.
Thats what I was thinking. Start with the bi-amp and then when it warms up next spring, move towards an active system.

So, I set my **** up for bi-amping today. messed with some settings, changed my grounds. Went to drive around and had some static in my right tweeter and then the amp shut off all together. Only had it running for about 10-15 minutes and it was very hot. Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong here? I was thinking it could possibly be the new ground???

Alright, I forgot to switch the crossovers to bi-amp from the passive setting. Turned on my car.......still nothing. The amp is still pretty warm. Im hoping that if I give it a little while to cool down, it will turn back on.

Guess I should probably check my fuses too...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.