Birthday comin up, $300 for comps

spikyho
10+ year member

What's happening guys? So my birthday is this coming Monday and my uncle has said that he's willing to get me started in car audio by buying me a set of comps (What a great guy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif). Anyways, the speakers are going to replace the stock fronts in my new mazda 3 hatchback and will be running off of the stock headunit via a LOC. I don't have an amp yet, but I'll probably start looking for one as soon as I figure out what speakers I want to get. Eventually, I plan on adding a 12" Fi Q sub in a sealed box running off of a sundown SAE-1000D, but I don't know when that's gonna happen. That being said, I want these comps to have some good bass for rap and hip hop while I am waiting on the sub.

So far, I've been hearing good things about Hertz HSK-165, Pioneer PRS720's, and possibly some Rainbows, but what else should I be considering?

Could always go budget and pg rsd's.

I'm not the best one for advice here on speaker selection. CDT, Morel, Seas, Focal quite a few quality comps.

But if your going to stick with a stock amp I would not bother upgrading. Anything.

I have been eyeing the Alpine type-x comps lately for my wife's car. The reviews for the Reference line are pretty good and that would be $100 under budget.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10185_Alpine+SPX-17REF.html

For about $50 more you can get the Pro's which would likely be #1 on my list:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10648_Alpine+SPX-17PRO.html

Of course, Rainbow comps are always a good idea. If you can track down a set of used Dyn comps that's a no brainer. Some of the few mentioned above are also good ideas.

I HIGHLY suggest getting an amp, though. Even a good 2-channel amp would do the job for a set of comps.

I have been eyeing the Alpine type-x comps lately for my wife's car. The reviews for the Reference line are pretty good and that would be $100 under budget. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10185_Alpine+SPX-17REF.html

For about $50 more you can get the Pro's which would likely be #1 on my list:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10648_Alpine+SPX-17PRO.html

Of course, Rainbow comps are always a good idea. If you can track down a set of used Dyn comps that's a no brainer. Some of the few mentioned above are also good ideas.

I HIGHLY suggest getting an amp, though. Even a good 2-channel amp would do the job for a set of comps.
Please get the pros and right up a nice in-depth review! (after break-in)

before blowing all that money straight up on a set of comps... i would almost suggest finding an cheaper - efficient set, that can take a decent amount of power... then with some left over money buy something like a 15-30 band EQ...

setup/tuning > speaker quality (within reason) my memphis msyncs sound better tuned... which cost like $160ish, and used a 30 band kicker eq.. than my rainbows did with no tuning (about $350) i havent been able to put my rainbows in and tune them yet cause i blew a mid but well see how that goes if they dont void my warranty lol

my next set of comps are probaly gonna be something from ID tho

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201

or maybe ill move up to the csx's

Could always go budget and pg rsd's.
I'm not the best one for advice here on speaker selection. CDT, Morel, Seas, Focal quite a few quality comps.

But if your going to stick with a stock amp I would not bother upgrading. Anything.
Definately planning on getting an amp. But I'd like to know what speakers I'm getting before I decide what amp to power them with.

Also, he gave me a $300 limit for speakers and I'm going to buy an amp by myself, so I should probably get the best comps I can get for my budget. But, I could try to see if he would be willing to get me a cheaper set and then give me some money towards an amp.

I just contacted another forum member who has a pair of hsk165's along with and EP4 amp that I can get for $475. Should I spring for this set up or is there a better amp and component combo in this price range that would better compliment a ported Fi Q?

hertz HSK 165 is what u looking for . PM lyttleviet for his good pricing on NIB comps. Polk are also good but no one actually have a specific model on them to recommed except the top of the line SR.

To amp ur FI sub i think it'll run around 300$ or so and u're set. How many RMS is ur Fi Q? my friend put in a ARc audio amp for it. he likess it a lot.

I realy like my Image Dynamics CTX65CS and there only $180 so you can take the other $120 and put it towards an amp.
go for it. ID makes awesome stuff, and having a non-amped comp set is a waste of money. You should be able to find a decent 2 channel for that price no problem, especially if you're willing to buy used

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

spikyho

10+ year member
spikyho
Santa Rosa, Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from