bk1800 vs sedona s2000

Participant count
  • Participant list

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
I already ordered the bk1800.

I wanted an amp that can do 2000wrms and while reading some posts here about the black ice monoblocks, I got the impression that the bk1800 can do 2000wrms because the company apparently underated the amps power output.

however, when I saw the manuals for these two amps online, the bk1800 requires a 160A in-line fuse. But the sedona s2000 requires a 200A fuse!!!

oh god what have I done....... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It's more about efficiency. The Sedonas aren't as efficient, thus the ability to price it lower. Also, you're not going to be missing out on 200W between 1800 and 2000. Yes, the Black Ice are underrated as many have said, but saying it'll do 200 more than rated is a bit of a stretch. These aren't OS amps, after all.

Keep in mind you're paying a premium for better crossover networks on the Black Ice than you are on the Sedona. They're both competent amps, but PPI knows what they're doing by pricing them differently.

Also, consider reading Zed's manuals for an explanation on fusing and why companies use their fusing to try and sell products. It's basically for the exact reason you started this post. Just realize recommended fusing should not be the be-all when it comes to an amp's performance. Between the two, I'd still do the Black Ice.

however' date=' when I saw the manuals for these two amps online, the bk1800 requires a 160A in-line fuse. But the sedona s2000 requires a 200A fuse!!![/quote']

Don't make the mistake of confusing built-in fuses with in-line fuse requirements. You fuse for the wire, not the equipment.

Don't make the mistake of confusing built-in fuses with in-line fuse requirements. You fuse for the wire, not the equipment.
I don't think these two amps have built in fuses. Pictures sure as hell don't show any....

I don't think these two amps have built in fuses. Pictures sure as hell don't show any....
You're right. I checked the BK1800.1D. In that case I would use a 150 amp fuse close to the amplifier. You don't need to have exactly what it says to use in the manual. You could probably even use a 100 amp fuse and go up from there if you ever blow it. I don't build SPL systems but I have used as small as a 20 amp fuse on a distribution block into a 4-channel amp that has 75 amps of internal fusing.

You're right. I checked the BK1800.1D. In that case I would use a 150 amp fuse close to the amplifier. You don't need to have exactly what it says to use in the manual. You could probably even use a 100 amp fuse and go up from there if you ever blow it. I don't build SPL systems but I have used as small as a 20 amp fuse on a distribution block into a 4-channel amp that has 75 amps of internal fusing.
I will be running a 4ohm load initially and I already have a 60A in-line fuse hooked up which will be fine for around 500wrms that I plan on tuning the HU for. When I get new subs, I will replace the power/ground cable with 0g and 160A fuse as recommended.

But I'm still bummed that this amp can't do a flat out 2000watts clean.

I will be running a 4ohm load initially and I already have a 60A in-line fuse hooked up which will be fine for around 500wrms that I plan on tuning the HU for. When I get new subs' date=' I will replace the power/ground cable with 0g and 160A fuse as recommended.
But I'm still bummed that this amp can't do a flat out 2000watts clean.[/quote']

We're not saying it can't, but that probably relies on rock solid electrical and ideal conditions. Like I said before, I've heard of it being overrated, but 200W overrated is a bit of a stretch. Clamp it when you have it installed and see if we're wrong though. I'd love it if we were.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Beatin'

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Beatin'
MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date