blew my amp.. pics inside!

I use the same color positive and negative power wire, but I have different gourmets on each one to tell. You gotta be smart.
You have fancy food on your wire to tell the difference between POS and NEG //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

For whatever the reason why it happened, the MOSFET's in the DC to DC converter has blown. They are normally IRFZ44N or IR3205's.

If you look at the others that are good (or at least not burned) you will be able to tell what it is.

99% of the time you can tell using an OHM meter.

BUT..sometimes the driver shorts to. If you need help troubleshooting it, drop me a PM

so i was a dumbassss and used the same color for my positive and negative on my fosgate 450s amd smoked poured out so i turned it off quick.. looked and seen i hooked the negative in the postive on the amp and the power into the neg on the amp ****it... here are some pics of the damage.
Some people should just leave it to the pros *smh*//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

A buddy of mine hooked his Linear Power 5002 up backwards when we were in high school. A little bit of smoke came out of it, but to our amazement, it still worked and nothing was charred on the circuit board. We both learned a very valuable lesson.... You shouldn't try to hook up your amp when you are drunk!
Wise words...

Chances are you fried all the power supply primary side MOSFETS (little square things). I'd replace them all even though all do not look burnt. Chances are the others are gone (or **** close to it) too. The intrinsic body diode inside those suckers can't handle much current.

The tricky part is replacing them. It's not just a matter of desoldering the leads on one and replacing it with another. The Drain tab is probably soldered to an aluminum clad substrate. This is difficult as hell to desolder the devices from without exceeding their thermal rating. I've done this before VERY carefully with a blow torch. Beyond that there is not much you can do.

Wise words...
The sad thing is I just sat there and watched him hook his amp up backwards while at the same time laughing my ass off.... Then again, it was his fault for bringing over a case of beer for us to drink while I built his subwoofer enclosure!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.