breaking in subs?

There is no need to break in your subwoofer.
Plug them in and play them like you normally would. They will break in themselves over time with regular, normal use. No need to turn down the gains on your amp for the first [insert time period here]. Set the gain correctly once and then leave it alone. No need to keep the volume low for the first [insert time period here]. Just play them like you normally would.
Quick story for ya from a local chain store. A salesman says " Under powering speakers will destroy them" " Manufacturers are very specific in the way they rate there products so that you can match them perfectly " Same guy same conversation " When you purchase brand new subs you should break them in for a couple weeks at lower power " Irony at it's finest ain't it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

no need to break in a sub. i never have, and have never had problems.

doest the IDmax require you to free air it for a certain amount of time or something though?

No.

ID I believe tells you that you must break them in.

But they also used to tell you not to use class D amplifiers with their subwoofers....claimed it caused them to blow (yes, blamed it solely on the class D topology).

I like to break in the subs gives me more spl than out of the box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I know some people get more spl out of the box but in all my applications breaking them in just gets louder.

I like to break in the subs gives me more spl than out of the box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I know some people get more spl out of the box but in all my applications breaking them in just gets louder.
Bass farting is different than using it solely for daily driving.

But they also used to tell you not to use class D amplifiers with their subwoofers....claimed it caused them to blow (yes, blamed it solely on the class D topology).
LOL, I remember that. I filed that one away somewhere between

"BullSh!t" and

"Brown Note"

--

On the other hand, I had a MOFO, and that bastard was so stiff it would hardly move if you pushed on it; It did free up a little over time, so I suppose if you set gains by ear, you might be likely to set them a little high based on your initial impression of the sub's output.

Then, that's what the meter is for.

Wiggins wrote a bit about spider compliance that helps to dispel the breaking-in myth.

I guess bottom line is the sub won't "handle more" after it's been "broken in" but it might loosen up after some use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.