Buying locally...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jbarbier
10+ year member

Hey, I'm new to this board, and to car audio (about 1.25 years exp)

My question, one of them, is...

Do you guys think it's better to buy from a local audio shop, pay more for a 'lower' quality item, than to buy from an online store and get a slightly better product for the same price or less? I'd love to help support our local shops, but sadly they don't really deal any of the brands that i REALLY care for. They sell MORE of the better known stuff...sony, kenwood, clarion, pioneer, JL, rockford, etc etc. They do not really sell much infinity, focal, MB, or anything "high-end,' therefore their prices are even higher...

second question...im not into SERIOUS audio competition by all means, i do however want slightly better than average sound in my car...i would LIKE to run one amp for the subs and power the speakers off of the deck...i know, i know, but there HAS to be some sort of components out there that have a high sensitivity rating or some that work well with a low RMS, any suggestions there? Thank You...I look forward to an enjoyable hobby that i can be proud of...

Justin

Well, the local shops often cost more because of the costs of maintaining a brick & mortar store. All my stuff has been bought locally, but my next amp is going to be bought online unless I can find a killer deal locally. The cost difference is just too much to justify helping the local shops out.

As for the other question... You can run components off the HU amp, but it's not recommended. Component speakers just love power, and the 40-50W you get from a deck amp aren't going to give you the sound you're looking for. A good component amp can be had for like $150 or less online a lot of times, and it's a worthwhile investment in my book. I'm sure others can give you more specific advice as to what amps are best for that.

Originally posted by Jbarbier Hey, I'm new to this board, and to car audio (about 1.25 years exp)

My question, one of them, is...

Do you guys think it's better to buy from a local audio shop, pay more for a 'lower' quality item, than to buy from an online store and get a slightly better product for the same price or less? I'd love to help support our local shops, but sadly they don't really deal any of the brands that i REALLY care for. They sell MORE of the better known stuff...sony, kenwood, clarion, pioneer, JL, rockford, etc etc. They do not really sell much infinity, focal, MB, or anything "high-end,' therefore their prices are even higher...

second question...im not into SERIOUS audio competition by all means, i do however want slightly better than average sound in my car...i would LIKE to run one amp for the subs and power the speakers off of the deck...i know, i know, but there HAS to be some sort of components out there that have a high sensitivity rating or some that work well with a low RMS, any suggestions there? Thank You...I look forward to an enjoyable hobby that i can be proud of...

Justin
Welcome big guy,

Since you want to power some comps off the deck, I'm gonna recommend you get an alpine HU with a v-drive 60Wx4 amplifier. My dad has one of these decks, powering some infinity reference 6.5" comps and some more infinity reference 4" coaxes. It really sounds good in there. He also has a 10" infinity reference subwoofer, which is decent at best. But the v-drive internal amp really does make a difference.

So this is what I would suggest for HU + speakers: Alpine CDA-7894, Infinity Reference 605cs for fronts, and your coaxes in the back will vary on what shape of speaker you like, btu I would recommend something low-end infinity.

I know exactly how you feel about supporting local shops. There's a local shop that I've drained SO much money in that I only go back there to talk to the guys, pretty much. I've decided I can't go to them for equipment anymore.

As for sub(s), well, what are you looking for? How much can you spend total?

Originally posted by BonusBobo Welcome big guy,

Since you want to power some comps off the deck, I'm gonna recommend you get an alpine HU with a v-drive 60Wx4 amplifier. My dad has one of these decks, powering some infinity reference 6.5" comps and some more infinity reference 4" coaxes. It really sounds good in there. He also has a 10" infinity reference subwoofer, which is decent at best. But the v-drive internal amp really does make a difference.

So this is what I would suggest for HU + speakers: Alpine CDA-7894, Infinity Reference 605cs for fronts, and your coaxes in the back will vary on what shape of speaker you like, btu I would recommend something low-end infinity.

I know exactly how you feel about supporting local shops. There's a local shop that I've drained SO much money in that I only go back there to talk to the guys, pretty much. I've decided I can't go to them for equipment anymore.

As for sub(s), well, what are you looking for? How much can you spend total?
Have you checked with your local shop to see if they could cut you better deals? They might do that especially since you have spent alot of cash there. It is worth asking, you might be pleasantly surprised.

hey, well i already have a pioneer deh-3500 deck and i love it....I didnt really *mean* that i wanted to run the comps. off of the deck ultimately...just until i get an amp...should have been more clear. I am looking at the CDT classics and the local shop went from 230.00 down to 170.00...so like 60 bucks off and i can get it like NOW...149.99 at the zeb.

I heard them and its pretty much what i've been looking for, really good sound for 149.99. (or even 170) as for subs...i dont really know...right now i have a memphis 10, im not even sure what kind...i bought it from the local shop for 70 bucks. running off of a 300 watt jensen 2 channel...(not DVC, i just have one channel hooked up) its a pretty good sub for 70.00 and the amp was free, so im not complaining...i'm still in school (start college next sem.!!!!), and im looking for a part time job...right now i have like 400 i can spend. im looking to get the comps first, then w/e is left, i'll buy what i can...so any suggestions on what to listen for as far as good SQ subs? i heard the infinity perfects were good...im just looking for something that'll be on par with the CDTs...

while im at it...what would be a good amp to run the comps? i think they're like 80 RMS

thank yz soo much

Use a US Acoustics 80x2 amp thezeb has them and they are good amps and inexpensive(83 dollars). The Amp will fit your needs perfectly.

Just a personal opinion, if you DO get components and if they're in your doors, use sound deadener. It will make your refrences' midbasses deeper. Its worth the extra money.

Originally posted by JLCivic Have you checked with your local shop to see if they could cut you better deals? They might do that especially since you have spent alot of cash there. It is worth asking, you might be pleasantly surprised.
I suppose I could try, but I donno. I would feel a bit awkward.

Use a US Acoustics 80x2 amp thezeb has them and they are good amps and inexpensive(83 dollars). The Amp will fit your needs perfectly.
If you do decide to go with US Acoustics, which wouldn't be a bad decision at all, be very careful with the wire terminals, mainly the power terminal on the corner. If you break off the plastic piece, it's a ***** to try and put together so it still has power. I know from experience dude.

i heard the infinity perfects were good...im just looking for something that'll be on par with the CDTs...
I'm sure an middle to upper-end infinity would suit your needs. I personally don't think the references sound very good, but the kappas and perfects are pretty darn decent. Also, look into elemental designs K-series on http://www.edesignaudio.com. I have no first-hand experience with these, but I've heard so many good things about them that I would personally take the risk. They're about $125 for a 12" I think. They can take a lot of wattage, but maybe that jensen amp you have would even be enough if you bridged it. Is it 300W RMS or max? If it's 300W Max, you should be fine as long as the gains aren't up 100%.

Originally posted by BonusBobo I suppose I could try, but I donno. I would feel a bit awkward.

It never hurts to ask. I think that would be less awkward than going there to talk to the guys and the realize that you are no longer buying anything from them. I am not saying you are going to get the same price as you might get online, but it might be close enough for you to pay the extra to keep authorized service, no shipping, etc. If they say no, then you are out nothing.

Originally posted by JLCivic It never hurts to ask. I think that would be less awkward than going there to talk to the guys and the realize that you are no longer buying anything from them. I am not saying you are going to get the same price as you might get online, but it might be close enough for you to pay the extra to keep authorized service, no shipping, etc. If they say no, then you are out nothing.
yeah, that's a good point. And if I worded it correctly, I could make it casual. I think I'm gonna give it a shot next time I go in there.

Sometimes you can get deals if you go to a competetion. Yesterday I was at one and all the memphis audio stuff was being sold at rock bottom prices.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jbarbier

10+ year member
Jbarbier
South Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from