Cabin peak

Participant count
  • Participant list

dailyrider123

Senior VIP Member
I've asked this before I believe but what's the point of knowing your cabin peak? I ask because I just metered my system for the first time and I did a 148.7db sealed on the dash. In a 06 Tahoe four 12s on a dd m4a @ .05 and my truck was peaking @ 41hz so how useful is this info and what are things I can use it for?

I've asked this before I believe but what's the point of knowing your cabin peak? I ask because I just metered my system for the first time and I did a 148.7db sealed on the dash. In a 06 Tahoe four 12s on a dd m4a @ .05 and my truck was peaking @ 41hz so how useful is this info and what are things I can use it for?
Well if your looking for pure SPL, you tune your box to your cabins peak frequency and you gain a huge db boost. This makes music sound terrible though for obvious reasons.

For SQ purposes. You can use it to know where you will have dips in your response and thus tune a box to fill in the low spots.

Untitled.png

This is my FR.

2516534482_b0d155d5ac_o.jpg

A bit of a jumbled graph but you can see that around 40hz Those cars have their peak frequency then plummet in spl.

[quote name='dailyrider123']So does that mean my bandwidth falls off around 41hz ? How do I know how low it goes? @The Camry[/QUOTE]

No, Sealed boxes simply give you a flat response and i believe they have better low frequency extension. You'd have what is essentially my FR without the box peak hump. You'd roll off between 25-32 hz.

The only way to know is to do a freq sweep. A basic mic and Roomeq. Even a cheap one should work as long as it can take the spl pressure. Dont do it very loudly

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.