capcitators

Originally posted by 85cutty some guy i was talking to told me to wire capcitators on to the positive wire of my 3.5s??? is this a good idea?? or would u guys not use them?
first of all, this doesn't make sense...capacitors wire to a 3.5" speaker???? what the hell...just to let you know, don't do it. NEVER use a capacitor, they are useless. peace

NG

Originally posted by ngsm13 first of all, this doesn't make sense...capacitors wire to a 3.5" speaker???? what the hell...just to let you know, don't do it. NEVER use a capacitor, they are useless. peace

NG
The caps would be used as high pass X overs.... maybe aobut 10 uf would do.

Originally posted by avistar23 The caps would be used as high pass X overs.... maybe aobut 10 uf would do.
never heard of that b4 in my life...woohoo learned something new. BUT, caps used to support a weak electrical system, they ****...are a waste of money and add more stress to the electrical system. peace

NG

Originally posted by ngsm13 never heard of that b4 in my life...woohoo learned something new. BUT, caps used to support a weak electrical system, they ****...are a waste of money and add more stress to the electrical system. peace

NG

Yes the caps used to support systems ****, but in some cases they are good.

the ones I am talking about (and i believe he is) are just tiny things you toss on the the (+) connection to the speaker. It eleminates low frequencies to the speaker. so it's basically like a HPF. I believe the ones you guys are talking about is power caps. anyways I think it's a good idea cause speakers that small aren't made to handle lower frequencies. If you have a HPF on your head unit you can just use that instaead of course and save a few bucks. Either way you should have one or the other.

So I would have to give it a big yes. I'll try and find a web sight so you can read about it more!

lol wrong subjest.. you meant to say *passive crossovers or bass blockers*... yes it is a good idea, but you need a sub... if you're running the the speakers direct from the HU and you dont have a box/sub, you're system will sound like ****, because you dont have any low... if you already have an EQ or crossover tho, you wont need one...

Originally posted by jjoven1225 lol wrong subjest.. you meant to say *passive crossovers or bass blockers*... yes it is a good idea, but you need a sub... if you're running the the speakers direct from the HU and you dont have a box/sub, you're system will sound like ****, because you dont have any low... if you already have an EQ or crossover tho, you wont need one...
actually...'capcitators' (capacitors) is the perfect subject. someone told him about a 'capacitor' not a passive crossover or bass blocker. im assuming these 3.5's are int he front. and as long as you have speakers to provide for midrange/(and a little bass) in the back of the car, you don't necessarily need subs. it would be ideal, though.

anyways check this site out and if you have time...read through everything..

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

but theres a section on passive crossovers (capacitors and inductors) which go in series on the positive wire of the speaker....the formula is...

(1)/(2*PI*Desired crossover frequency*speaker impedance) = capacitor value

I think he was talkin about putting x-overs on the 3.5's.

X-overs are just eletrical frequency filters....Very small Capacitors in series with a resistor.

Then the low or high pass is determined by which component its wired to in parallel with. (excuse the simplification) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I've done this with speakers when running w/o a Sub...it helps the sound alot , but you would have to compensate for the lack of subs and set the mids to pickup @ ~ 40-60Hz.

Easiest way is to get a EQ with built in X-overs. ..............and then theres always the DIY way and break the soldering iron out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by fantomas actually...'capcitators' (capacitors) is the perfect subject. someone told him about a 'capacitor' not a passive crossover or bass blocker. im assuming these 3.5's are int he front. and as long as you have speakers to provide for midrange/(and a little bass) in the back of the car, you don't necessarily need subs. it would be ideal, though.
nah i think he's talking about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3019339308&category=14931

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

85cutty

10+ year member
85cutty
Vancouver
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from