Cheap Android Headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

cfox10
10+ year member

Rock the house.
I just want to start by saying I went into this with low expectations...

I went ahead and picked one of these units up despite being told by everyone that they are junk (presumably those who haven't used one) and my own understanding that you get what you pay for.

With that being said, I went from an Alpine ilx 007 to this unit and I'm SO happy I did. This unit is packed with features and crazy amounts of customization options - everything you know and expect from the Android OS.

The sound quality based off the internal amplifier was similar to the stock radio/most aftermarket radios. This doesn't bother me as I'll be using a DSP here in the near future.

I have a capacitive touch screen with a resolution of 1024x600 that blows most units out of the water in terms of quality, by far better than my buddies Kenwood App radio.

Offline Navigation works great with the included GPS antennae.

Music playback is great, it also supports FLAC.

Movies look awesome.

Radio reception is great and the OSD works well.

I also enjoy the bootup logo that features my car manufacturer.

Most of you are familiar with Android so I won't go into much further detail and bore you.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Here is the model I purchased:

Amazon Link

NO VIDEO REVIEW YET

but, here is a short video of it.. I need to adjust a few things to my liking still.

Lol, pumpkin is a weird brand name. I'm glad you like it though. My Alpine unit is great with ipod navigation, but very lacking with android compatibility.

Lol, pumpkin is a weird brand name. I'm glad you like it though. My Alpine unit is great with ipod navigation, but very lacking with android compatibility.
Luckily my unit doesn't show 'Pumpkin' anywhere! lol

Which Alpine? I enjoyed the ilx 007 but one of who regularly drived the truck uses an Android phone and the unit didn't have bluetooth or any Android support, which was irritating. This thing just had every feature I could want..

Was surprised I could still mirror iPhone and Android to it!

The offline Nav is the best for me since we live in an area with crappy cell service.

I did grab the Amazon 2 year guarantee just in case since it's still an off brand lol

Luckily my unit doesn't show 'Pumpkin' anywhere! lol
Which Alpine? I enjoyed the ilx 007 but one of who regularly drived the truck uses an Android phone and the unit didn't have bluetooth or any Android support, which was irritating. This thing just had every feature I could want..

Was surprised I could still mirror iPhone and Android to it!

The offline Nav is the best for me since we live in an area with crappy cell service.

I did grab the Amazon 2 year guarantee just in case since it's still an off brand lol
It's a cde 149bt

It just accesses my phone like it's a USB drive

I have some questions-

Being that it is an Android based Unit, when WiFi is accessible, does it regularly update itself like a phone?

Also, have you tried side-loading apps to it and how capable is it to run ANYTHING?

Does it have STOCK it's own play store and if so, is it's results limited forcing the need to side-load? And again.. is sideloading compatibility possible?

Phone Mirroring-

What DOESN'T work in mirroring?

Does this support Steering Wheel control?

If not, does it support Remote Control?

I think i seen it supports backup camera support? I don't care about if it comes with one or not, just curious if there is support for it?

Does it support Auxiliary Input or Output or both?

I'm assuming it supports Bluetooth AUX Input?

Assuming i'm correct, is the audio playback flawless compared to let's say on a memory card?

Also, does it support USB?

If so, is it just for DATA or can it be used for external hardware such as keyboard, gamepad, etc....

Does it support Video Out?

the reason i'm asking all this is the Source is the Heart of the system..

I try to spend no less than ~$900 on a headunit and i'm also an Alpine person.

I've owned the same Alpine unit for the last 9 years and still works flawless.

Educate me on this new unit.

Interesting head unit.

That's a lot of features for a very low cost.

If it meets all your expectations you have done well. It the build quality gives it a long use life it is a great unit for the cost.

Good luck and enjoy...keep us informed

I have some questions-
Being that it is an Android based Unit, when WiFi is accessible, does it regularly update itself like a phone?

Yes, it does. All of the apps update as well as system updates. With that said, I've already rooted it and put a custom rom on it.

Also, have you tried side-loading apps to it and how capable is it to run ANYTHING?

I have not side loaded any apps. So far everything I've gotten from the play store has worked. The rockchip processors have been out for a while now so they are compatible with most apps I believe. I use torque, google maps, google music, pandora, iheart radio, etc.

Does it have STOCK it's own play store and if so, is it's results limited forcing the need to side-load? And again.. is sideloading compatibility possible?

It came stock with the Google play store installed. You can install APK's you download as well if you want something the play store doesn't offer.

Phone Mirroring-

What DOESN'T work in mirroring?

I've tried phone mirroring with my Galaxy s4, my ZTE, and my Blu Studio 5. Everything works fine, including touch screen control of phone. I don't particularly use the feature often, other than to mess around with.

Does this support Steering Wheel control?

If not, does it support Remote Control?

it supports steering wheel controls, you may need a canbus adapter depending on the vehicle. With my 2011 Titan I just had to tap into the 3 steering wheel control wires and the headunit has different options for you to select in the menu for what you want that button to do. For me nothing extra was needed.

I think i seen it supports backup camera support? I don't care about if it comes with one or not, just curious if there is support for it?

The unit does support backup camera, and it will also go straight into the camera even while the unit is booting so you don't have to wait for it to load before backing out/driving off.

Does it support Auxiliary Input or Output or both?

It has Aux input on the rear side of the unit, you simply connect rca to 3.5mm to it.

It supports audio output for Front/Rear/Subwoofer

I'm assuming it supports Bluetooth AUX Input?

Assuming i'm correct, is the audio playback flawless compared to let's say on a memory card?

I use Bluetooth streaming most often, I have not experienced any issues. It also supports hands free calling, text reading, google now, etc.

Also, does it support USB?

If so, is it just for DATA or can it be used for external hardware such as keyboard, gamepad, etc....

So far I have tested it by playing music via ipod, and an Xbox 360 controller for emulator, both work. It also supports 3g/4g/lte USB dongles if you want it to have it's own connection for data. I just tether via wifi to the unit from my phone.

Does it support Video Out?

Yes, I don't currently use it but it does support it. It also supports dual mode, you can have the kids watching a movie in back while you use nav up front. I don't know how to use this feature as I have yet to use it.

It also supports video in, if you want to add something like a game console, front cam, etc.

the reason i'm asking all this is the Source is the Heart of the system..

I try to spend no less than ~$900 on a headunit and i'm also an Alpine person.

I've owned the same Alpine unit for the last 9 years and still works flawless.

Educate me on this new unit.

I tried the tablet route a couple of times and it didn't satisfy me. With this, I plan to use a DSP and amplify my speakers/sub stage of course. Thus far I'm very impressed with the unit. It does take a lot of 'tinkering' around with to get it just how you want it, but if you're familiar with Android you'll get used to it very quickly.
Interesting head unit. That's a lot of features for a very low cost.

If it meets all your expectations you have done well. It the build quality gives it a long use life it is a great unit for the cost.

Good luck and enjoy...keep us informed
I will definitely keep you all updated. I've already opened the unit up and checked out the internals. It's extremely light. With that being said, it's very easy to get great processing power out of small devices now days. We see it in the current gen phones we have.

I'm familiar with the processor platform, which is why I went with it. I'm confident it'll last a long time.

Since the board is similar to an RADXA via DDR slot, I assume it's fully upgradeable should the manufacturer choose to. I may be able to install an RADXA chip giving me Octa Core and more Ram down the road. I may give that a go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.